just bought laser

david pollitt

I just bought an oldish Laser 79, and it has a small gelcoat crack on the bottom of the hull. Can anyony direct me to directions of how to fix this small crack

2. Having never sailed a Laser but having sailed many other boats, is there a schematic of how to rig the laser-lots of lines and blocks etc.

many thanks
david

hi david,
i see this is ur first post, welcome to TLF (The Laser Forum)

i hope this link works, its a downloadable rigging manual from PSE's website
click here

hope this helps on your second question

david pollitt said:
I just bought an oldish Laser 79, and it has a small gelcoat crack on the bottom of the hull. Can anyony direct me to directions of how to fix this small crack

2. Having never sailed a Laser but having sailed many other boats, is there a schematic of how to rig the laser-lots of lines and blocks etc.

many thanks
david

There's also rigging instructions at Vanguards website:
http://www.teamvanguard.com/boats/c/cnt/down/LaserRiggingLR.pdf

For the crack, don't sand before hand. You need a sharp edge. My instructions said you might even need to chisel it out a little bit first. Scary. Then mix the matching gelcoat with its hardener and use a putty knife to smooth it on. Keep in mind it will shrink a little so you might want to slightly overfill. Put a sheet of plastic wrap over the mend to exclude air. This allows the gelcoat to cure. Finally, when its really hard in a day or two, sand, sand, sand. Start with 200, then 400, and finish with 600 grit. There's also polishing grit stuff if you're going for a professional finish.

I'm sure other sailors on the forum will have some ideas too, if I've left anything out or they have a better method.

Merrily

If its just a gel coat scrach then there is a product called "Scrach and Shine" or something like that and it is very easy to use, just clean the area, sand and apply. Itdries as smooth as you can put it on and is easily sandable. Any well stocked ships store should carry something along those lines.

A tip for application, put on too much then wet a rag with acetone (outside DEFINITLY for these amounts, this stuff kills brain cells quick) and wipe once. It gives it a smooth finish to start with. Then after it dries you only need to wax it.

Merrily said:
There's also rigging instructions at Vanguards website:
http://www.teamvanguard.com/boats/c/cnt/down/LaserRiggingLR.pdf

For the crack, don't sand before hand. You need a sharp edge. My instructions said you might even need to chisel it out a little bit first. Scary. Then mix the matching gelcoat with its hardener and use a putty knife to smooth it on. Keep in mind it will shrink a little so you might want to slightly overfill. Put a sheet of plastic wrap over the mend to exclude air. This allows the gelcoat to cure. Finally, when its really hard in a day or two, sand, sand, sand. Start with 200, then 400, and finish with 600 grit. There's also polishing grit stuff if you're going for a professional finish.

I'm sure other sailors on the forum will have some ideas too, if I've left anything out or they have a better method.

Merrily

Hello Merrily
Thanks so much for that very good explanation. I have done some research and all that you says seems right on. Will begin the work tomorrow.

thanks again.
david

144679 said:
hi david,

click here

Jon

thanks so much, thats exactly what I needed. Im sure I will be back with numerous questions as I explore this Laser world, thanks again;
david

144679 said:
hi david,

click here

Jon - forgot to ask - what does PSE stand for?

david

Ballywho said:
If its just a gel coat scrach then there is a product called "Scrach and Shine" or something like that and it is very easy to use, just clean the area, sand and apply. Itdries as smooth as you can put it on and is easily sandable. Any well stocked ships store should carry something along those lines.

A tip for application, put on too much then wet a rag with acetone (outside DEFINITLY for these amounts, this stuff kills brain cells quick) and wipe once. It gives it a smooth finish to start with. Then after it dries you only need to wax it.

Thanks Ballywho- will get some of that for those numerous superficial scratches.

david

Hello David,
Welcome to the Laser world. I don't think you'll regret your purchase. Lasers are a blast to sail and a damn good for physical fitness. Hope you can swim well cause at first they can be pretty unforgiving and it will give you a dunking to let you know you made a mistake. but they are fairly easy to re-right. One thing when your rerighting your boat don't pull down on the trailing edge of the centerboard always try to pull down on the leading edge.
After you get past that initial learning curve you learn to love them as do the other Laserites on the forum.
Welcome aboard!
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

fishingmickey said:
One thing when your rerighting your boat don't pull down on the trailing edge of the centerboard always try to pull down on the leading edge.

Hey, is that so you don't bust the centerboard or does it right the boat faster, or something else?

Merrily

David, PSE stands for Preformance Sail craft Europe its the european equivlant of vanguard, they build the lasers for us guys at the other side of the pond.

Hello Merrily,
Yes it is fairly easy to snap off the trailing corner of the centerboard, It's fixable put a pain to do it right.
Fishingmickey,
150087/181157

fishingmickey said:
Hello David,
Welcome to the Laser world. I don't think you'll regret your purchase. Lasers are a blast to sail and a damn good for physical fitness. Hope you can swim well cause at first they can be pretty unforgiving and it will give you a dunking to let you know you made a mistake. but they are fairly easy to re-right. One thing when your rerighting your boat don't pull down on the trailing edge of the centerboard always try to pull down on the leading edge.
After you get past that initial learning curve you learn to love them as do the other Laserites on the forum.
Welcome aboard!
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157
Hello FishinMickey
thanks for your encouragement and good advice regarding righting the boat. I grew up with sailfish so I should be at home relatively soon. Looking forward.

Im going to post another question so I hope you will have time to look at it.

thanks again.
david

Back