Jib Halyard - wire lost inside mast

Hami36

I unfortunately broke the line attached to the jib halyard on my Laser2 while raising the jib and the wire loop went inside the mast. I am having a devil of a time getting any sort of line down the mast from the pulley to exit point at the bottom of the mast. All attempts end with the lines getting hung up somewhere. Anyone have any experience here?

I have done this once before. I recall that there is more than one internal section inside the mast. So make sure you get the line complete with washer or whatever you use for a weight into the right side to find your opening for the halyard.

Is your mast in two pieces like a Laser mast? Mine is (although I've never tried taking it apart). If it is then maybe that would help - pull it apart and put it through the top part first. Then tye some sort of weight etc (or just make sure everything is clear) and put it through the bottom section.

I've never done this, so I'm not saying it will work. It's just a thought. :)

Don't know how much clearance you have around your halyard sheeve but a lenght of bicycle chain works well as a weight, as heavy as you need but flexible. Have used this on larger boats.
Bill

Never done this on a Laser 2, but I have heaps of experience doing this on 470s and 420s. The essential kit for rethreading a halyard is a 30 cm length of bath chain (you can buy from any hardware shop) and some fishing line. You use this as a mouse to re thread the halyard. You can have a problem of getting halyards tangled around each other in the mast. The best way to get around this is by using your kite halyard to rethread your jib halyard. Do this by removing the jib sheath box from the mast, reach in for a piece of the kite halyard and tie the jib halyard to it. Now pull your kite up, you should be able to see the jib halyard at the bottom of the mast, tied to the kite halyard. Using this technique should avoid tangles. If you don't have a kite halyard, you can use the same principal with the main. When I thread a mast, I always do the main first, and then use it to guide the kite then jib halyards.

Back