Is this a legal set up for a laser outhaul?

The main rule about the outhaul and downhaul controls is that you are only allowed two ropes per control and no more.
I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this) that it doesn't matter what blocks you use on the controls.
But it seems perfectly legal. (Again find/talk to a measurer for absolute confirmation).

I'm fairly sure (don't quote me on this) that it doesn't matter what blocks you use on the controls.
But it seems perfectly legal. (Again find/talk to a measurer for absolute confirmation).[/quote]

I have a question about the 2 control blocks on the deck plate for Outhaul and Cunningham. Can these small standard
issue blocks be upgraded to 20mm sheave blocks ( Ronstan or Harken)?

I'm not sure about the ones on the deck... I can't imagine why you would want to make them any bigger because it means that the rope will be higher up and therefore harder to cleat. If you raise the cleats slightly and use really small blocks (on the deck plate) then the outhaul and downhaul will cleat instantly. Again I'm not sure if its legal or not to use different sized blocks... Sorry! =P

I have a question about the 2 control blocks on the deck plate for Outhaul and Cunningham. Can these small standard issue blocks be upgraded to 20mm sheave blocks ( Ronstan or Harken)?
No, that set-up has to be 'builder supplied' and hence, can't be changed.

the real question here I want to know is that can you tie that block to the cleat on the top of the boom like that?
laser_fse_rigging2-550x289.jpg

Oh yeah... I'm sure that tieing the block onto the boom cleat is legal.
What I use instead of rope is a long shackle.
But rope is probably better...

Oh yeah... I'm sure that tieing the block onto the boom cleat is legal.
What I use instead of rope is a long shackle.
But rope is probably better...
but you said that you can have only 2 ropes per control does that mean you have to use a shackle or does the rope tied to the cleat not apply to this?

-ok i just reviewed the rules and it says no more than two control lines, does this line count as a control line? So if not it is legal....

No I don't think it counts as a control line because it is not a moving line...
And again I might change my shackle to rope because it can swivel easier... =)

'MarkC22': The coloured red rope, that you use as shown in your photo above, is a "tie line"/ a "loop"! -> IMHO: class rule legal (proven at several subitems at the so called "ILCA By Law 1, Part Two, No. 3 ") !! ... in theory... BUT: I'm 99% sure, the main ILCA measurer (J.L.-Michon/FRA) doesn't like it and probably wouldn't agree to such a fixing. So... as long as you don't sail this set up at big major events (f.e. Laser Nationals or international championships), where an official detailed measurement is done: Go for it, if you think it helps you in to control the outhaul-sytem, as it doesn't really makes you more fast, than other competitors beside of you.
Ciao
LooserLu

ok thanks and fyi this isnt my boat im seeing if i should rig my boat like this, and also i dont think im going to any huge laser regatta cause i started sailing them about a month ago.

Looks to be legal, but I would change it if you were going to sail in a major regatta, in my experience measurers will select you boat to measure just because it looks different and that could cause problems depending on how the measurer interprets the rules.

Everything shown appears to be legal.

Assuming that the orbit blocks are actually do have 30mm sheaves and not something which is say 32mm. Rule 3.b(iv) restricts the size of the optional blocks to 15-30mm. There is no other restrictions on the optional blocks, what you choose is your own choice, they are not considered "builder supplied"

The optional blocks can be tied using a piece of line to the cleat on the boom (Rule 3.a(v)) as would be a shackle or clip, this piece of line does not count towards the "two control lines".

Back