Is My Centreboard Legal?

A while ago (during a gybe, I think) I lost the top front tip of my board. Basically the part of the board that has a hole to attach the shock cord to stop the board from lifting. This was about a 50mm on a side triangular shaped piece.

I cleaned this up and now have a 45 degree surface between the top of the board and the leading edge. I also re-drilled the hole for the shock cord so that it is about 20mm behind the 45 degree surface.

To my mind this has no affect on boat performance as the board still sits in the same position when working.

Is this still legal or does the board have to comply exactly to the shape when built?

I can't afford a new board if its not legal so any ideas as to how to fix it. Its from a mid 80's boat.

TIA Ian

If the board does not perform differently and you are not being measured for a world championship...which is generally not contested in personally owned boats anyway....

and some nutjob says he would rather you not play with the rest of the fleet than use your slightly broken but still performing it's job piece of equipment.

I think you should go to the competitor's meeting for the event , hold up said blade and ask, "Is anybody here gonna protest me if I use this busted blade??

If anybody answers "yes."

say the following,
"Which one of you is willing to loan me a legal blade so that nutcase who is bothered by my crappy one and the rest of the assembled fleet can enjoy the company of one more friendly competitor."

However...

I doubt such a nutcase exists

Whilst technically it might be illegal, the most measurers descent will ask why it's this shape and permit it under rule 26.a.

If you want to avoid any issues, rebuild the triangular piece using filler and some stainless pins as reinforcement, but maintain the new hole you've already drilled and continue to use it, rather than putting any load on the new triangular piece. By doing this you've maintained the essential shape is restored, noting that the essential characteristics and function have currently not been impacted.

I really wouldn't worry about it, if there is a nutcase who's offended by the disheveled condition of your gear, tell them to pack sand.

BT

In my experience the nutcases who 'care' about class legality aren't even sailing that day, they are the parents of rather unsportsmanlike spawn (children) whom they purchased a brand new boat for and its inconvincible how an old beat up boat can beat their kids shiny new gear.

Either way, carry on and go sailing!

I've got an older boat myself, if it still floats I'm sailing it. As your allowed to add a handle above the waterline, I don't have a problem with it.

Back