Is my auto-bailer functioning

Hi, could someone tell me if you pull the plug of the auto-bailer in the cockpit of the boat what is supposed to happen. I noticed when I do this, a little plastic scoop pops down on the underside of boat. I imagine this is what is supposed to happen. However when I push the plug back in the scoop doesnt return back into the boat. I can push the "scoop" back in by hand and it stays shut. Any input on this appreciated. Mike.

I just used the forum search option. (should of used it before starting a new thread). I got the info I needed. Apparently a very common problem. I will attempt to replace the "O" rings and see if that helps.

Hi, could someone tell me if you pull the plug of the auto-bailer in the cockpit of the boat what is supposed to happen. I noticed when I do this, a little plastic scoop pops down on the underside of boat. I imagine this is what is supposed to happen. However when I push the plug back in the scoop doesnt return back into the boat. I can push the "scoop" back in by hand and it stays shut. Any input on this appreciated. Mike.

The scoop is called a chute, and it is supposed to pop open when you pull the plug and return when you push it back in place. There are O-rings inside the bailer that are probably tired or broken. You can order fresh ones from a dealer or go to the hardware store and get them for cheap. Others here can tell you what size. Or you can use the Search feature here.

Thanks Merrily, wondering if you are anyone knows were to purchase the optional "metal springs" that most say works better than the "O"ring fix on the bailer. Mike.

Back