Is it worth replacing the plastic ring between mast sections?

ebay100

Hi all!

Someone told me that I should replace the plastic ring between the two mast sections on my boat. The boat is 22 yrs old and the part has not been replaced since new. Although it shows very little wear, i was advised to replace it as they are only £8.50.

What should I do?:) :confused:

Do you mean the fit is sloppy between the two sections? If the connection is worn and loose, it will allow the top section to swivel round = not good. Try wrapping a bit of packing tape around the connection to acheive a snug fit. If the ring is broken it may be worth replacing but otherwise this should be all you need to do.

The fit should be very snug, that way it allows the two spars to act as if they are a single section which will improve performance.

Make sure the rivet that holds the sleeve on the top section is secure,otherwise the plastic 'bung' on the top section comes slightly apart and wedges itself in the bottom section,very embarrasing struggling to seperate the two pieces,need arms like Scwarzenegger!

After 22 years I would definitely look to give your top section a major overhaul by top and tailing the section. Buy a new bung, sleeve and end bung, remove the old plastic parts, turn section thru 180 degrees and replace with the new plastic parts. You should get another 22 years! Dont forget to seal up the old sleeve rivet hole with a rivet, sealer and tape.

Back