Is it possible to make Sunfish spars?

I need an extra set of spars for a recreational sail I have so I can save my racing sail for racing. Is it possible to make the spars rather than buying them? They seem to just be aluminum tubing with hardware mounted on them.
If anyone has done this I would appreciate any comments/advice.

I assume I would need the gauge of the aluminium and the length without the endcaps and some idea of where to buy the tubing.
:)

I need an extra set of spars for a recreational sail I have so I can save my racing sail for racing. Is it possible to make the spars rather than buying them? They seem to just be aluminum tubing with hardware mounted on them.
If anyone has done this I would appreciate any comments/advice.

I assume I would need the gauge of the aluminum and the length without the end caps and some idea of where to buy the tubing.
:)
Just aluminum tubing isn't quite as innocuous as you may imagine. Aluminum is not an inexpensive metal in its structural form.

Unless you have an "in" with a supplier or a metals recycle center who just happens to have the right stuff, once you deduct the cost of end caps and blocks, dealer cost isn't that far off bulk rate. A used set is the economical way to go.

There are bulk aluminum dealers around the country, but if you need shipping it can negate any savings from buying direct.

Aircraft grade clear anodized 6061 or 6063-T6 aluminum alloy

Spar size

1.5-Boom.html_txt_Ken_round_tube.gif

example vendor 1

example vendor 2

Great information! I appreciate it!

I have the length of each spar as 164". Does that sound right?

I am also looking for used spars in the Houston area but they seem to be hard to find!

Great information! I appreciate it!

I have the length of each spar as 164". Does that sound right?

I am also looking for used spars in the Houston area but they seem to be hard to find!

13'-8" by the book 13' 8-1/16" max by the race rules.... <make R2D2 noise here>... yup 164"

BTW 6063 is the softer ... well, more ductile ... of the two alloys. Probably what they use today.

Right, not your usual Walmart-garage sale item. It might take a few weeks or even a whole summer for a set to show up within 400 miles. Just keep watching Craigslist.

Back