is crbon worth it ?

Is carbon worth is ? that is the question i am asking my self . i wounded weather it is worth going for a carbon fiber tiller and extension because i snaped mine last weekend. i wounded what any of you think ?

post your thorts

meny thanks

dec:)

In terms of cost vs. potential increase in speed it's the lasst thing I'd add. In terms of 'cool factor' well, that's different.

The thinner carbon tiller is a little (.00000001 %) better as the traveller car can run over it easier. I use an Acme Fatso tiller extension, only because I had it left over from my Mumm 30.

You're better off using the money on a new sail, vang kit, outhaul kit, and special outerwear for Laser sailing. In that order. Carbon fiber stuff comes last.

Totally agree with the previous comments....nice to have, but of all the things I would spend money on for your Laser, the only thing I would put lower on the list than a carbon fiber tiller is a carbon fiber tiller extension. If you need to economize I would go for the tiller and stick with an alumimum (or get a broken carbon golf club shaft or ski pole and make your own extension). Don't get me wrong, the tiller is definitely a nice to have item...traveler runs much more freely and the tiller is lighter and stiffer, but if you haven't put your money into all the go fast stuff yet....

I think it depends where you live....

In my opinion, a carbon tiller is very useful for when it's blowing hard... Firstly, it's more precise as it doesn't bend but the main thing is that it's low profile allows you to get more tension in the traveler.

So where i live, in NC, there is no way I can justify that kind of money as it's only windy once a year pretty much.

Sure, they're lighter but I really don't think that weight makes that much difference unless you're at Olympic level.

While some people say it's cooler, i would disagree... I was beaten not so long ago by someone in an old boat, with an upside down vang system and a wooden tiller.... that's cool.... being fast with crappy kit!

Save the money, buy books, cunningham/vang upgrades, new saililng kit or just beer...

I used to think the same way about the carbon tiller/extension deal. Then I sailed in big breeze and waves. After the second long race I thought my arms were going to fall off from fighting my old tiller set up. The drag from the traveler rubbing while aggressivly steering through waves and my hands getting tired from gripping a thinner tiller extension was awful. Since switching the the Acme tiller and Fatso Jr extension, (that rotates freely) has been a HUGE improvement in boat handling, feel for the boat and easing muscle strain in my arms. If you sail in lighter stuff and flat water it is not a must have, but if the conditions are heavier I say you have to have it. However, I agree that new vang/cunningham and/or new sail does trump tiller upgrade when needed, but beer money does not trump this set up.

Acme (or at least carbon) tiller and extension are just the basic "upgrades" when you get a brand new boat, or should be very high on the wish list if you have an older boat, right along with the new vang setup (and immediately after the new deck fittings if you've got a real dinosaur).

If you're buying a car for competition (autocross, whatever), would you get the extra soft cruising suspension? No, you get the sport-tuned one, or plan to upgrade the default factory suspension with something aftermarket.

If you're racing, you want racing controls for your boat, including the tiller/extension.

Having read other posts... I think it's all down to you as an individual.

If I had a bundle of cash then sure, I'd buy all the upgrades but as it stands at the moment, I'm not going to go and buy the vang upgrade or carbon tiller.

I've had both on previous boats and I was only super happy with the tiller when I lived in England and it was breezy on a regular basis. The vang - I bought it for my last laser as soon as I could but then wondered what the fuss was. I'm certainly on the heavy side for a laser and have never struggled to apply more vang in pretty much any wind condition. The simple addition of a harken micro block in place of the old style bowline works perfectly.

The upgrade I do think is worth it, whatever your weight, ability, whatever is the cunngingham/vang. Enabling you to tweak the outhaul offwind without coming in from hiking is awesome... it does make a difference to boatspeed.

It's horses for courses as they say. perceived value is dependent on your existing boat setup and ability.... If I'm ever in doubt about spending money for something then I don't...

the main question is if money is no object and i needed one or the other wich would you go for carbon fiber or the others ?

the main question is if money is no object and i needed one or the other wich would you go for carbon fiber or the others ?

The original question was "Is it worth it" now you are asking "if money is no object what do I get" The two are very different....buy it if money is no object...is it worth it if your sail is top notch and all the rest of the rigging is perfect why not....its the last thing so go for it. But if there is anything else that is not perfect then thats where the $ should go

just my $0.02

I just realized you must be sailing hull # 187490, (based on your used id). If that is the case the only thing you should be missing is the carbon tiller/extension. If it were me I'd replace the old one with carbon on the extension first and the tiller second.

Re: is carbon worth it ?

I like mine.

Keep in mind that even though they are stronger, the tiller extensions can and do break if you fall on them or get them jammed between the boat and the dock or something.

If you do ever break one, just try to save the pieces because they make repair sleeves for about $20 or so to glue them back together. Much cheaper than buying a new one!

Don't use this as the reason to not buy one though -- you have to work fairly hard or be pretty clumsy or unlucky to break one. (I think I was all 3 when I broke mine!)

Okay, I can't help but comment.
Firstly, I don't know where all this about bending wooden tillers is coming from. If you're putting enough side force on the rudder and tiller to bend a piece of 3/4" oak, then you have a problem. That's enough force to sheer the rudder right off the transom. You'll gain a lot more by reducing rudder drag than from any upgrades.
Beyond that, the chief advantage of the carbon tiller is at the tiller-traveller intersection the tiller sits about an inch lower than a wooden tiller, letting the traveller sit lower and improving pointing by having the sail closer to the side of the boat. The second advantage- because the carbon tiller is lighter, it lets you feel the rudder more acutely. This comes into play on choppy days when getting the boat over the waves instead of through them is a priority.

If you want advice, I would say that if you're not consistently winning club regattas, work on the first suggestion above. If you're experiencing a lack of pointing ability in regional regattas and you're sure controls and tecnique aren't the issue, check the blown-out-ness of the sail first and the tiller second. While you're checking the tiller, make sure your traveller line is non-stretch. Replacing the tiller won't matter if the line stretches and removes the advantage.

The carbon extension in my opinion isn't a great idea- it cracks easily when sat on; a generic 4' aluminum extension will survive being sat on numerous times. If you want more grip, get hockey tape and a shoelace and make a grip.

I don't think there is a speed or pointing advantage, but the carbon tiller and fatso Jr extension are my favorite upgrades since getting the pro rigging. I love the feel of the extension and the tiller does not catch on the mainsheet block as often or as noticably. I have never bent or broken an extension, so I guess I am easy on them. If money is an issue you can do without the upgrade and not notice a speed difference, if the $200 is no big deal it is a nice upgrade.

Re: is carbon worth it ?

I like mine.

Keep in mind that even though they are stronger, the tiller extensions can and do break if you fall on them or get them jammed between the boat and the dock or something.

If you do ever break one, just try to save the pieces because they make repair sleeves for about $20 or so to glue them back together. Much cheaper than buying a new one!

Don't use this as the reason to not buy one though -- you have to work fairly hard or be pretty clumsy or unlucky to break one. (I think I was all 3 when I broke mine!)

i did not think they could break after this picture on rooster

can they break or not ?

post back :)

The tillers are about as unbreakable as they come
The tiller extension (at least the Acme) will break if sat on or smashed against the deck

Definitely worth spending your money on. Much better connection/feel in light to moderate conditions and less force needed in the heavy air.

Well I just managed to break my Kiwi carbon extension - and I don't even know how! Was trying to come ashore in the face of a fluky, gusty off-shore wind, so there was a lot of unexpected short shifts and headers. Boat went through head to wind unexpectedly, and Crack! extension in 2 pieces after only 3 outings. Not even sure what caused it, I guess in the confusion it must have got trapped. Real bummer is that the end went over the side, so I can't even try and repair it.

Currently not sure what to replace with. Previously had an aluminium one, but that bent too easily.. Maybe I should look at getting a new helm?:rolleyes:

BTW, I have a Black Diamond tiller, and that's great - definitely worth it...

Back