Insurance For Sunfish??

sgtpepperoni00

My parents are telling me that if i am going to get a sunfish i will have to take an insurance policy out on the boat if i wish to tow it on the trailor behind my car. I live in california. If this is true this has been the one thing ive overlooked this whole time while looking for sunfish.:mad:

Is that true? Do you guys have an insurance policy on ur boat for towing? About how much is it. :confused::confused::confused:

Unless your parents are experts in the insurance industry, they may be wrong. I would ask them to give you their agent's phone number, then you can call the agent up, and find out from the source.

BB

I know that in MA your car insurance will cover anything in tow. So if someone rear ends the trailer. the car trailer and boat would be insured as one unit under your auto policy. (I'm saying this in refrence to my own trailer experience and what my insurance company told me)

I called my insurance company ( Farmers and then State Farm ) about insurance on my trailers I pull. They said I am covered by the vehicle that tows it. Better check your own coverage and your state.

I wouldn't get insurance to cover the Sunfish to replace it, it would be cheaper to buy another boat probably..

"...They said I am covered by the vehicle that tows it. Better check your own coverage and your state..."
This raises a good question for us Sunfish car-toppers.

In New Hampshire, canoes and kayaks are covered by Homeowners Policy. Maybe if lost, a car-topped Sunfish would be covered under a Homeowners Policy instead of one's Vehicle Policy. :confused:

You don't need to have insurance on the boat or trailer to tow it behind your truck, your car insurence should cover any damages that you may cause when towing on the road. I have never had insurence on any of my boats, sea doos etc... ever .... i live in southern california as well, never heard of such a requirment

In most states, liability coverage on the towing vehicle will extend to the boat and trailer. There is no physical damage coverage (collision or comprehensive) afforded to the boat or trailer from the towing vehicle, but the liability coverage does extend. i.e. if the trailer becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle and strikes someone or something, the liability policy on the towing vehicle will provide coverage for the resulting damage to other property or personal injury. Review your auto policy. There is normally a section in the policy that address trailer coverage.
There is no coverage if the trailer strikes or damages the towing vehicle.

You can buy a boat policy on the Sunfish that would also include liability coverage and physical damage coverage to the sailboat for probably @ $100 a year.

Back