Installing SS antiwear plate in mast step

OK, glue this puppy down with 5200. Got that. So I put some 5200 on the plate. Now how do I get the plate into the bottom of the step without it turning sideways and leaving goo on the walls? Thought about taping it to a piece of pipe or dowel, but concerned about getting the tape out. Any "Antiwear Plate Installation for Idiots" suggestions out there?

Try dropping the 5200 into the bottom of the mast step first and then drop the fitting in. If you are carefull the adhesive should drop straight to the bottom. Just a dab will do it. Of course do this with the boat in the "deck up" position.

Hmmm. Thanks but no thanks. It's almost impossible to get "just a dab" of 5200 to exit a tube w/o prodding which makes a straight fall problematic. And just dropping the disc is equally unlikely to work well IMO>

I agree with Rob B if the 5200 is warm it will run straight down out of the tube. If you don't want to do that wad up some masking tape (sticky side out) and attach a stick to the top of the disc that way, load up the bottom of the disc with 5200 stick it down. Tap it a little and pull the stick out, the masking tape should come out with it.

I took a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels an put it in the mast tube. Then I dropped the 5200 down the paper towel tube. you don't need much 5200. Combining this method with the long stick method will probalbly work well. You still need to be carefull pulling the paper towel tube out because there is a slight chance the 5200 is on the bottom of the cardboard. Particularly if you where too generous with the 5200.

Take your time.

Jimmy

Easiest way i found of dealing with wear plate removal and installation is get a hoover with a long pipe turn it on attach wear plate to hoover pipe, place in position , turn hoover off and plate stays in desired position.

I used a length of 1x2.

I put masking tape on the end "sticky side out" to hold the wear plate.

I used more masking tape "sticky side in" to hold the "sticky side out" tape in place on the 1x2. So there's no way it can come unstuck from the 1x2 and remain on the wear plate.

Stick the wear plate to the 1x2, dab the adhesive onto the plate, send it down there, push hard enough so that it sticks to the bottom, then remove the 1x2. Use the other (non tape) end of the 1x2 to press the wear plate firmly into place and make sure that the adhesive has spread out.

Back