installing a storage compartment?

small lake

I recently bought two sunfish that both need major repair (one has a 2in by 2in hole) and neither one of them have a storage compartment in them. Is there any possibility of installing one in them? just throwing this out there.
Thanks

Anything is possible.

Putting in something the size of the "modern Sunfish storage bin" would require major surgery. It would be a bad idea to start cutting big holes for large access ports on deck. Cutting open the aft end of the cockpit is not a good idea either. It could ruin the integrity of the hull, require reinforcements that would add weight to the boat, and diminish the value of your boat. I steer clear of boats that have been hacked up. That cubby is not all that useful or secure anyway. IThings placed there float away if you flip your boat. I've thought about putting some webbing there just to keep things in place while sailing. I have old style boats and don't miss not having that space. t is hard to clean in there. Truthfully, I don't like it compared to 5" access ports, and would prefer the extra buoyancy of having that space enclosed.

On the other hand a couple of 5" access ports forward and aft in the cockpit would give you space for Fat Bag for small items like keys, a sandwich, cell phone, sunscreen, etc., and you could use a second access port for a Bottleport for a water bottle. If you really needed space, a second 5" port in the forward end of the cockpit would allow you to install another Fat Bag or Bottleport. A side benefit is you could install a hiking strap with ports in these locations.

Dixie854.jpg

Back