Inspection ports-AGAIN

btsunfish

Ok, so now I know how to install the inspection ports, but where would you buy them?To my knowlege, Vanguard only makes one size (5'') and in one color (grey, bleh!) Are these sizes you refer to aftermarket?

I've always gotten mine at west marine. They have 4, 6, and 8 inch I think. I normally get the 8 inch ones, in both white and gray (I think gray)

In the marine supply world they are called Deck Plates. Try putting "Boat Deck Plate" into Google. Look hard enough and you'll find a rainbow of colors and clear, even some with ditty bags. I see 5" and 6" on Sunfish most often. 8" is taking a big chunk out of the deck.

Layline Marine has them very cheap, many brands, and shipping is very fast. I ordered a hiking strap kit on a Monday and was cutting in my deck plate by Wednesday night that same week. They are in Georgia and I am in SW. Michigan.

See the files section of Yahoo Sunfish Sailor, it shows different brands available. I have used the 6" Beckson for the front port, a 5" Viking (with "Cat" bag) for the rear port and a 4" Sea Dog for the port to install a hiking strap on a '69 SF. The local (small) marine supplier had the Sea Dog and a larger supplier had the Beckson and Viking. APS and Layline are both good sources, West Marine MAY (as in they might) have the ports in their retail stores (some have them on hand, some don't, depends on the store size).

One point to note: Get matching ports (screw in lid prefered), some use flat or oval head screws (conical bottom) and some use pan head (flat bottom). It is a pain to have to keep different screws for different ports.

Another point; A clear lid lets you see if there is any moisture in the hull by allowing you to see condensation on the bottm of the lid. A solid lid you have to remove to check.

Back