Inspection port / safe places...

Can't seem to find a diagram on where its safe to place the inspection port. I don't want to be cutting into a spine or weakening the boat. I have 2 to install in order to repair the boat. The first is to through bolt or replace the plywood for the hiking strap mountings. The second is to do the same to the deck blocks.

Is there a diagram that will show me where i can place these, and show me what size and shape the plywood is inside?

Can't seem to find a diagram on where its safe to place the inspection port. I don't want to be cutting into a spine or weakening the boat. I have 2 to install in order to repair the boat. The first is to through bolt or replace the plywood for the hiking strap mountings. The second is to do the same to the deck blocks.

Is there a diagram that will show me where i can place these, and show me what size and shape the plywood is inside?

I don't think there is anything that would show where it is "safe" to install inspection ports. Generally speaking you want to avoid placing the ports on the centerline as there is often a stringer running there (although I don't think there is one running under the aft deck). Otherwise, the placement of the ports is dictated more by what you need to reach.

Before you cut the inspection ports have you tried repairing the screwholes with resin and redrilling? It might be worth the effort to try that first.

The first one I put in my Laser was just forward and to the right of the mast tube. Sorosz is correct in that you want to stay away from the centerline as there is either a stringer under there or the point where the foam core ends. Either way, IMHO, you will weaken the deck. If I were to do it again, I would put it abeam of the mast tube. The reason for this is that it would still afford the access to reinforce the tube when the time comes and it is far enough aft so you can reach the underside of the deck blocks and the downhaul/Cunningham cam cleats. I was unable to reach the latter and had to use a special toggle bolt. HTH.

they can go almost anywhere on the deck as long as its not too close to a load bearing area like the mast step or deck cleats, you also don't want it interfering with the control lines ect, and you want it to be close enough that you can make the repair

For this kind of repair (if we are talking about the fittings at the front) then one each side of the dagger board trunk is the way to do it.

If you need to repair the rear hiking strap mountings then I have seem them put in the rear deck mid way between the cleat and the transom.

Back