Inspection Port Placement

jpt007

I need to add an inspection port (5") aft of the cockpit and would love to hear where the best spot might be. I would like to use the inspection port to add washers/nuts on my hiking strap since the screws stripped out. And if ever needed, I could use the inspection port for addressing any hardware on the stern for the rudder, drain plug, etc. if needed.

Here's a pic of mine. There is no stiffening structure running down the centerline of the afterdeck in mine. (There IS in the foredeck, but not in the afterdeck.) Mine's an old 1973 boat so newer ones might be built differently.

Just FWIW, if it was me ... I'd thru-bolt the rudder gudgeons at the same time as the hiking strap anchors, using wide fender washers on the inside. Cuz it is SO much easier to do this before something tears out, than after. The tear-out usually messes up the material around it, making the repair much more involved than the preventative step. And these old stress points always tear out on heavier days cuz that's when they get over-stressed. And a Laser without a rudder doesn't handle well. Often hard to get it back in to where you started, especially on a heavier day.

Good luck with it,

Attachments

• aft insp port.jpg
    aft insp port.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 84

Back