Inserting mast step disk

dpearson

After repairing my mast step, one last thing I did was purchase one of those stainless steel disks to insert into the bottom of the mast step, providing a smooth surface for mast rotation. I wanted the disk glued down and didn't just want to drop it in the hole and hope it lands right-side up. So here's a creative way of inserting the disk using spare parts:

I found a section of PVC piping around, that was longer than the mast step. I taped the disk to the end of the PVC pipe by using some painters tape (blue). First I attached the disk to the pipe with 2 small pieces of tape, just enough to hold the disk on, and then I wrapped the PVC pipe end to "capture" the 2 small pieces of tape. After all, I wanted the disk to stay in the hole but the tape to come out with the PVC pipe removal.

I added a bit of epoxy to the end of the disk and inserted it into the mast step. To remove the PVC pipe, I inserted a piece of handly copper tubing I had around (a long dowel would do) into the PVC pipe to push against the disk while I pulled on the pipe. Out comes the pipe and the dowel too. Quite easy. Here's some pix using a simulated disk of how the taping went.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 41
I was worried about tape getting left on so I used my shop vac to hold the disk as I glued it and put it down the hole. Turn off the vac and push the disk with the vac tube. All done.

Yeah, I saw that idea with the shop vac on the forum. Good idea. I worked around the concern about getting the tape stuck by making sure to securely fasten it to the PVC and then weakly having it attached to the disk. I tried it out a head of time a couple of times next to the mast step just to make sure it would disengage correctly. Once I was confident it was a simple matter of putting glue on the disk and doing it for real. I figured only a lucky few of us have a shop vac.

There are probably yet other innovative ideas out there too?

Thanks for the info!
Where can I find one of those disks?
Having seen you're from Greece, you may get contact to the LaserPerformance authorised Laser Store at Greece. The LaserPerformance "dealer locator" did tell me this store is at Tessaloniki:

http://www.ostriamarine.com/

If they do not have the disk, try to make such a disk on your own: take a stainless steel plate (thickness: 1mm, not more) of Steel-sort "AISI 316" or better "AISI 317" (= "V2A" or better "V4A"). You get it at stores for "modell gear" (RC mini trains or RC mini planes etc.). The disk has to have a diameter of 64 mm (not more). The next local company that produces steel parts is able to cut out for you such a disk with their stell-press/-compactor or laser-cutter.
(make some extra disk for your friends :) )

If this is not possible for you, contact me via TLF - "private message". I live at GER and I have some of those selfmade disks in reserve (8,00 Euro + shipping costs to Greece).

Ciao
LooserLu

I know this sounds simple/stupid, but I dropped the disk into the mast step hole and that's it. The disk won't get lost because the mast sits on top of it and it's tethered to the boat. The friction generated by the disk with the bottom of the the mast step is minimal. The plastic step plate on the mast takes most of the friction with the plate, based on the wear pattern that I can observe.

I love all the creative engineering solutions that were used, but I would rather sail my boat, than work so hard on THIS problem !!!

The disk won't get lost because the mast sits on top of it and it's tethered to the boat.

Lost mine anyway when I put the boat away. Either the disk adhered to the bottom of the mast, temporarily, or it fell out sometime when I forgot about it and turned the boat over to give it a good polish. Don't know because I forgot it, and then it was gone. Moral of the story. . .:eek:

I turned my boat over (on land) and said disk fell out - glad I found this thread because I thought I was crazy :eek: or something half-baked had been done to my boat by previous owners.

So now I know what it is, I guess I can put some pookey on it and drop it back in - any suggestions on type of pookey to be used?

:)

Back