Inhaul

macwas16

I've decided to make an inhaul consisting of two stainless hooks and bungee cord. My question is how long should the bungee be if it will be one single piece that loops through that useless clam cleat on the boom? Also, what diameter works best?

I just got a new clew strap and it is amazing... what are you using right now for the clew tie down? if its not a strap i would get a Dorsal Clew tiedown.. it comes with a strap, the hook for the clew, a harken block for the outhaul and on the other side is a bungey like you said.... im to lazy to go messure it but if i was you i would get that strap its realllllllly nice for all winds.

I'm using 3/16" but mine is doubled (loops thru the boom mounted cleat), so the amount of "pull" is increased. Most of the shockcord setups I have seen have been done this way. If you are going with a single, you will need to go up in diameter to get the same amount of pull.

If you are using the Harken clew hook, why do you want to add more weight with the stainless hooks on both ends of the bungee ?

Greg, the way you mentioned is how I intend to do it. I meant that the setup is comprised of only 1 continuous piece of cord. The stainless hooks are small and very light and so I'm not worried of adding an ouce or two.

macwas16 said:
Greg, the way you mentioned is how I intend to do it. I meant that the setup is comprised of only 1 continuous piece of cord. The stainless hooks are small and very light and so I'm not worried of adding an ouce or two.

I think the length depends on the shockcord that you buy. Different brands work at various tensions.

Merrily

I use 3/16 cord. Create a loop at one end of it(bowline works). Pass the other end through the old outhaul cleat on the boom going toward the clew. Cross it under the boom once. Go throught the clew. Cross it under the boom again so that there is an "X" under the boom. Attach a hook to the free end and hook into the loop at the cleat.

I have noticed a lot of people doing this at big regattas over the past 2 years. It has worked very well for me. Also, I wouldnt use stainless hooks. Go get a plastic hook that can close in some way.

This sounds like a good set up. But from my understandung, the hook will have to be small enough to pass threw the grommet at the clew?

macwas16 said:
This sounds like a good set up. But from my understandung, the hook will have to be small enough to pass threw the grommet at the clew?

No. You tie it onto the end of your cord after it passes through the gromet. When you are done sailing you then take it off and pass the cord through the gromet.

Back