Information please

vamoose

Hello All
I am and old Finn sailor considering buying a Laser, I would sail as a Grand Master. Question, what is the difference when buying a Laser between the Standard boat and the Pro? What do I look for when buying used? If I buy a used standard boat what do I need to up grade to make it competitive?
Thanks for your help.
David

Hello Vamoose -

The major difference between the "Pro" and the "Standard" is the rigging of the Vang, Cunningham, and Outhaul - and the qulity of some of the lines. If you buy a "Standard", you may want to upgrade these - but it is by no means necessary - there are steps in between. Actually, the top guy in the world has not "Pro"-ed his boat - he still sails with the "Standard" rigging - or somewhere in between.

A "Pro" may also come with upgraded lines and tillers which are nice. You will want to get a new tiller - Carbon Fiber is all the rage at the moment - but you can do just as well with Aluminum - as long as the Tiller fits tightly into the Rudder head - the wooden ones flop around like a broken arm. You'll most likely also want to cutomize your Extension to be the length that you are comfy with. I would start with a old ski pole longer than you could ever want and then literally take a hacksaw sailing with you and keep chopping off bits until it is the right length. When you have the length that you want, you can start shopping around for something that fits, or if money is no object, you can have one made.

You can use websites like www.coliesails.com - they have all the upgrades and trinkets. All in all, I would think if you upgraded everything, it would be about 800 bucks (USD). You can do it cheaper if you buy the parts on your own - but it will take more time.

My opinion, and I only just upgraded to the "Pro" control lines - is that they are worth it - especially if you don't have the flexibility that you once had (as I am fast learning). But you can make up your own upgrades as long as you stay in the rules.

Matt

Matt
Thank you very much for the reply, I now have a better idea of what to look for.
Thanks again
David

If you've never owned a Laser before, definitely go for the "pro" rigging. You'll find the controls much easier to use.

Hello All
What do I look for when buying used?
David

This may be started to get a bit dated (since it was written 10+ years ago now), but still contains lots of good information. Allan Broadribb, former Executive Secretary of ILCA-NA, write a nice article on buying a used boat which Bradley has stored here on TLF, follow this link to read it.

Hi , Go For The Pro I've The Standard And The Outhaul Is A Real Pain To Get To , I'm Going To Upgrade Mine To Deck Controls !:(

Back