I'm New, Do I Need A Vang?

bernie

I've sailed some on larger boats, but just bought a very old Laser from an old fellow who hadn't used it in years. Far as I can see, everything is there and he thought it was complete, but I see from studying the web that there is no vang.

I've just been sailing in a small, shallow lake and have been getting along ok for starters. But I suspect I do need a vang, even for just fooling around?

If so, where do I find one and how do I hook it up. What is its purpose? Everything seems to stay in place and work right now?

Hi Bernie, welcome to Laser Sailing and TLF.

Some kind of vang is essential on a Laser (or any sailing boat). For recreational sailing the old system will suit you fine. Look in the "Help Section"
Fred's Rigging Guide

bernie said:
What is its purpose? Everything seems to stay in place and work right now?

It not only holds the boom down, depending on the amount you use, it bends the boom down to shape the sail. You'll get more power and stability.

Merrily

It also helps keep the boom attached to the mast. If you want to have some real fun, capsize the boat in breeze, have the boom separate from the mast and then try to put it back together and sail home. You'll need a vang.

Rob B said:
It also helps keep the boom attached to the mast. If you want to have some real fun, capsize the boat in breeze, have the boom separate from the mast and then try to put it back together and sail home. You'll need a vang.

How could I forget! Before rounding the leeward mark a few weeks ago in a breeze I completely released the vang. Yup, the boom fell off the mast after the rounding. I was ahead until then. :( I got the boom back on pretty quickly, really, but the mainsheet was all loop de loop and I had to re-thread it. Yet another episode in the clown school of sailing. . .

Merrily

Thanks everyone. that was very helpful. I've already made a temporary vang out of a pulley and "rope." I did have a little trouble keeping the boom on at times when the boat went over. I was using baling wire (this is farm country) but I can see that a vang might be better. I really appreciate the forum, and the patience you have with newcomers.

bernie said:
Thanks everyone. that was very helpful. I've already made a temporary vang out of a pulley and "rope." I did have a little trouble keeping the boom on at times when the boat went over. I was using baling wire (this is farm country) but I can see that a vang might be better. I really appreciate the forum, and the patience you have with newcomers.

The new vangs have, I believe, 15:1 mechanical advantage, and people use them to put a lot of force on. Bear that in mind while rigging your own.

Basically, when going upwind on a breezy day, the vang helps to flatten the sail -- otherwise when a puff hit the boom would rise, the sail would become even more full and powerful -- just the opposite of what you want. But, when you're sailing downwind, you need to release the vang some, otherwise you run the risk of dragging the boom in the water, which can break it on a windy day.

I bet that for rec. purposes, you could even find someone's old style vang retired in their garage or somthing . Just ask other laser sailors near you. If they race, they probably don't plan on using that old vang ever again, so you could buy if for a very reasonable price.

Back