ILCA Class Rules vote ends July 31 (tomorrow!)

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by SFBayLaser, Jul 30, 2006.

1. 168664

168664 New Member

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I sailed Moths, albeit 30 years ago so dont know what they do now, but we used a simple track and slide which worked very well. Available off the shelf from any boat chandlery. Cheap and very efficient.

Many people may have tried this new sleeve out, and say it works well, but was any of them ever asked if any improvements could be made to it.

2. leftfield

leftfield New Member

Mate, the Laser is a one design class. The purest one design class. Always has been, and hopefully always will be - our success is built on it. Development classes are about everyone being able to design their own mousetrap, and the game becomes about fiddling with gadgets as much as going sailing. Good luck to those who enjoy that game - there are plenty of classes for them to choose from. For better or worse, there is some flexibility in the Laser class rules (tillers etc), but suggesting we apply this flexibility more broadly is suggesting a fundamental change to the nature of the class.

I would be amazed if the people who tried out the new sleeve didn't suggest improvements, and I would be amazed if some of these suggestions didn't reach the final product. It has been in development for a few years now and has undoubtly been greatly refined over that time. Just because you have only just become aware of this process doesn't mean it hasn't been going on for years.

You seem to be intent on arguing against this fitting (which has already been approved by at least two thirds of your fellow Laser sailors) when you haven't seen or used it, even though everyone who has seen or used it raves about it. Are they all wrong? Obviously most of us trusted their judgement and/or our own instincts when we voted for it sight unseen - but how else can the process be managed? Send 5,000 fittings all around the world so we can all play with it before voting?

If you think you can do a better job then go for it. Spend your $100 on designing something, then spend the next few years convincing everyone else that it works better. Then get the class to vote for it, and maybe if you are really lucky it will be legal in time for the Olympics in 2012. Or you could just accept that the Laser is a one design class, spend the $100 on the new fitting (or persist with the strap and spend the $100 at the bar) and go sailing.

3. 168664

168664 New Member

Well Mate.... You obviously have no idea if improvements were ever suggested and acted upon. Did everyone who voted, know that they were voting on this exact sleeve as it is now, or on the idea of a solid sleeve. What were the questions asked in the vote, I havent been able to find them

Lets look at your so called purest one design class:

We have a choice of 2 brands and designs of turbo vangs
    We have a choice of 2 brands of sails made from different cloth
    We have a choice of spars which differ from country to country. How many threads have there been here about getting hold of Aussie spars because they are better
    We have any number of choices of tiller
    We have any number of choices of toe straps
    We have any number of choices of mainsheet ratchet blocks
    We even have a choice of mainsheet eye straps

So Mate... it seems we have a choice of nearly everything above the waterline, EXCEPT a solid clew strap. Its choices that make for competitive pricing, better design, personal preference.
    If you are having a problem with North sails, then you have the freedom to go and buy a Hyde sail, and if enough people are having the same problem, then North will very soon realise that they need to pickup their act and make a better sail or they just wont sell any. I am happy with my North sail because it was my choice.

So you take your $100 and go and buy it, not because you really want this particular one, but because its the only one.

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

168664, I checked the International website, where the stuff to vote on was published, and it is no longer available. I'm sorry that you missed reading it. You are not the only one who feels passionately about being able to supply your own, but personally, I'm happy to buy the one that will be available and feel that the one design stuff has to start and end somewhere. I have a sample of the outhaul as a gift from Tracy Usher, AKA SFBayLaser. Mine is a next to last generation, in other words, the final edition has an improvement. I'm very happy with it even still. I mailed it to a sailor on TLF, and he loved it too. He had it rigged backwards, I believe, and it still performed superbly for him. I hope you try it, you might like it.

5. 168664

168664 New Member

Thanks Merrily.

Im sure that this sleeve will work. My point is that I believe it could work better.

From this thread http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1249&highlight=clew+sleeve of 2 years ago, it appears that any modifications have only been cosmetic at best.

It also appears that there has been no open discussion (or argument as Leftfield likes to call it) on the design since photos were not allowed to be publicly released.

The only questions asked have been "do you want a metal sleeve as opposed to a piece of spectra cord." Well of course everyone will answer "yes"

If I were to buy one of these, am I allowed to alter it. Can I take the hook off and use a shackle. Can I take the block off and fix the outhaul directly to the clew eye, as allowed in the rules. Can I add an adhesive Teflon strip to the inside to reduce wear on the boom

6. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

There is, of course, this thread from last May. Note that those pictures are of the production prototype (notice the Laser trademark on the sleeve).

The voting page of the ILCA website did contain a detailed description of the boom sleeve/clew hook - with photos - and this web page was reproduced in the last three issues of The Laser Sailor (as well as the last Laser World). During the voting period (February through the end of July), a large number of questions were fielded, here on TLF, on the Laser email list, on the Masters email list, and in other places, including some voicing the same question as you pose now. The vote was on the specific wording of a rule change which allowed for a "builder supplied fitting" and the pictures provided were of the proposed builder supplied fitting. Personally, I'm quite happy that this fitting had a good discussion, that a large number of people involved in the discussion were able to trial the production prototype fitting and comment and that we appear to have a good solution to simultaneously provide reduced friction AND a quick release mechanism - which was the goal all along.

There were four rule changes proposed, all passed with, if I recall correctly, better than 80% approval. The next step is to get ISAF approval at the November meeting (which should be a formality) and, unless a hiccup develops there, these four new rules will go into effect the beginning of December. It is my understanding that the boom sleeve and clew hook fitting will be available for purchase mid to late November. But I am not priviliged to either production or delivery schedules.

7. leftfield

leftfield New Member

The photos together with the proposed wording of the new rule were available for some time before and also during the voting process. There was considerable discussion on the web and particularly via the laser email list about the fitting, and I am sure there were plenty of offline discussions at sailing club bars around the world - I know there was at my club.

Our elected representatives considered the introduction of the fitting with the due caution we would expect of them (as shown in the thread linked to above), and once they were happy, asked us to vote on it. They gave us photos and information to help us decide, and others voluntarily provided testimonials. The class voted to approve the change. Two years have passed since the World Council first looked at the sleeve and it was being designed and discussed for a couple of years before that - the now defunct DrLaser web site had photos and information pretty much from when the first prototype was designed.

Of course a better fitting could be designed. Which Laser part couldn't be improved with some redesign? But that isn't the point. All changes to the boat are a carefully managed compromise between minimising obsolescence and cost while maximising performance and durability without having too great an impact on the one design nature of the class. A well tested evaluation process exists and the approval mechanism is democratic and well informed, like it should be.

Apart from the ISAF rubber stamp, the deal is done - although some spoke out against it, the majority of members voted for this fitting, as it is. It's time for the class to move on to the next problem, of which there are plenty. Maybe the short lived sail, or the easily bent mast section, or the inadequate rudder. In my opinion, all much greater challenges than the clew sleeve.

8. 168664

168664 New Member

There seems to be a more than normal push to get this particular sleeve approved. And anyone who has a vested interest in getting this sleeve approved should declare their hand. Valid questions are not being answered and are simply glossed over and dismissed

Answer
    and
    His question was not about the hook, it was about it being better to have the gromment inside the sleeve, and use another method of quick release
    The problem with abrasion was simply dismissed as not being a problem.

=====================================================

Answer
    This is not answering the question, or statement really. It was about the block on the sleeve pressing on the outhaul line between it and the boom, not about friction going around the boom fairlead

====================================================

Answer
    Again virtually dismissed as not a problem... although it appears that shockcord is needed and with no means of attachment been provided, as Merrily goes on to say:

==================================================
    This problem has not been addressed, using a hook will always be a potential risk, even in John Christiansons own words

Not one of my concerns have had an adequate answer except accusing me of being argumentative and too late, its already approved.
    Another question that is not being answered, "can I buy this sleeve and take off the hook and block and attach the sail by another method', and put teflon tape around the inside of the sleeve?

9. Merrily

The answers are technically yes and no. The sleeve is constructed so that the hook could be removed and replaced with a shackle, oh ye of little faith. A shackle is class legal now. I don't know if it is legal with the sleeve. No teflon, because there is probably not room for it inside the sleeve. I don't know why need it though. It was already slicker than a ribbon.

You go too far in making an accusation that some people are getting kickbacks. I endorse the boom sleeve; I'm a District Secretary; I'm getting no special favor or money by endorsing the boom sleeve. I resent the implication that I am. You are also on the wrong list to really get the answers you want. Try TLF Laser List for the answers from people who know the answers. http://www.laserforum.org/index.php?page=TLF_Laser_List

10. leftfield

leftfield New Member

The vast majority of ILCA members did think the answers were adequate and voted for the fitting. You don't think the answers were adequate - that's fine, everyone has a right to their opinion. Unfortunately for you, you are in the minority, and the fitting has been approved. At the end of the day it's as simple as that.

The only people with a vested financial interest are John Christianson, the licensed builders around the world and those in their distribution chain. The rest of us have an interest in being able to more easily adjust our outhauls, - that's it. Believe it or not, the ILCA membership is intelligent enough to think of the same questions you have, consider them, and express a well-informed opinion by voting.

Unless of course we are all being hoodwinked by some dastardly criminal mastermind out to make his or her millions at the expense of poor innocent Laser sailors around the world. They're probably doing it to fund some evil terrorist plot that will unravel the fabric of western society. Maybe it goes all the way to the top - was the whole vote rigged? Is Jeff Martin just a puppet? Who is really pulling the strings? Hmmm, maybe that explains where Shevy has gone... He is probably lurking in his secret hideout cackling fiendishly while plotting our downfall.

We need a saviour. Someone to give the evildoer his comeuppance. It will be a dangerous job - the hero (or heroine) is sure to be captured by Shevy and connected to his cunningly designed Hiking Bench of Death before ingeniously escaping seconds before his (or her) demise, setting up a final, spectacular confrontation. Of course, in end Shevy will get away by blasting off into space in his secret escape pod, with his plans for a sequel already underway. But who will our saviour be?

Any volunteers?

11. Merrily

Laughing very much out loud!!!

12. abenn

abenn New Member

Very well put leftfield. I was just thinking of exactly the same reply but you beat me to it. I guess it comes from me being a pathetic, defeatist electronic engineer (they're the worst kind you know).
    I think we need a parliamentary enquiry in to this issue - this could rival the AWB scandal (sorry to all the non-aussies who aren't aware of what this is).
    As you say, this topic is over. The fitting is approved. Decide for yourself whether you want to buy it or not and go sailing.
    Lets now move on to the bigger issue of sails - keep the debate going re intensity sails (and other laser "training" sails made by others) vs class legal sails. I'd rather look at that A$1000 "fitting" than the $50 clew sleeve.

13. 168664

168664 New Member

so partly thanks to you we have been stuck with an inferior fitting. You voted for something which you knew could be better. Ok, lets move on and leave it for the next generation to fix up

14. leftfield

leftfield New Member

I did not say that the new fitting is inferior. I said that it is a compromise, which is not even close to the same thing. If you read the entire paragraph you are quoting you would understand that. But quoting out of context is so much more fun isn't it?

And yes, I suppose that it is partly thanks to me that you are stuck with this fitting. For my part, you are very welcome. I hope the next generation will find something of greater worth to fix up though. Anything to distract them from the actual sailing - they are getting way too fast for me.

That's it for me. Over and out.