I need help...been out of the game for long time

mister

Hello,

I just joined. Is this the correct forum to ask dumb questions?

I have a very old Laser......and I'd like to purchase a Laser 2......but I have a limited sense on how to set it up to go fast.

As a child, learned to sail on this Laser on lake Michigan........and I'd like to get more involved.

The Laser is just too small for two adults.........

Please help with proper performance upgrades for a 2 and where you suggest purchasing one.

Thanks in Advance

Michael

I'm not sure that you need to do much to 'set it up to go fast'. My L2 is really really simple and goes fast already. However, I suggest you check out those sites, esp the international one.

Seeing as I live in Australia, I'm not sure where you could buy one. I guess any second hand boat dealer may have one. There are certain things to look out for though:
~check the sails are useable (or if u intend to race, they need to be in fairly good condition) cause new sails are heaps expensive.
~check the hull - it should be firm and no bumps/bubbles or signs of botched repairs
~the deck should be free of crazing
~there should be no cracking under the gunwhales - this can be a sign of major stress
~check the the daggerboard case (both inside and underneath the boat) for signs of cracks or repairs - that can mean the boat has hit something and if this is the case there could be invisible structural damage

Hope that was helpful. Good luck getting a L2 - they're great boats. :)

Back