I have been out of laser racing for a while ...Q's....

BSinc.

Obviously, and un-expectedly i find my self .................old. 48.

I started in 1976 is there that much a difference in hulls and foils?

What i mean is if i had a lime or maple boat in the box for some time , given sails and part upgrades, were made along with the sparsin 09, is this still a inferior product?

i can't answer the previous questions but here in singapore, the radial sailors tend to be in the range of 55-75kg... i'm personally 66kg and am finding it quite nice at this weight, until the wind decides its time to blow, flexing its muscles and showing me who's boss. that said, theres a page in Ben Tan's book about laser racing, and it states that a good radial weight is about 70kg, this of course is subject to your fitness level. the ex national coach's recommendation for a standard rig weight was 78kg. hope all this helps

Obviously, and un-expectedly i find my self .................old. 48.

IMO:You are getting old at age 48, soon, if you do "no sports" ;)

If you go out and sail Laser active, you soon will feel younger than others, at age 48 ;)

At the worldwide community of active Laserites you find many "old farts": the Masters (over age 35+). Often they are physical "in better condition" than this or that young Laserites, believe me. The Masters Worlds are so well-attended (over 400 active old Laserites, each year) that this championship still has a strong limit of entrance. From TLF we did learn in 2008, the oldest active Laserite is over age 100.
So, give your mind a change ... "Yes, we can" :) :)

I started in 1976 is there that much a difference in hulls and foils?...
...What i mean is if i had a lime or maple boat in the box for some time , given sails and part upgrades, were made along with the sparsin 09, is this still a inferior product? ...

An official answer, f.e. probably of the class or the builders, sure would go in this way: ... "No, the Laser was built and still is built under a very strong QM and a "Builders Manual" (a sort of bible for the licensesd Laser builders) takes care, that all Laser dinghies, that ever have been produced between 1970 and now, are absolutely equal. ...".

But, from my experience, this is perhaps not the full truth...
F.e.: If you weight a hull of a Laser of ~ 1977 and weight a hull of a Laser of ~ 2008, your result will be: compared to each other: the "center of weight" is not exact at the same "point". Make your own thoughts on that... etc. etc.

The best is, you go out and make your own experience, in force 4 or force 5:
Sail a "classic" Laser of 1978, old 3,2 oz. Harstick-Sail, wooden tiller, 1:3 classic Holt-Vang, 1:2 classic Cunningham-"system".
Compared to that, borrow a "Classic"-Laser (3.8 oz Hyde or North Sail, 1:4 Cunningham-system, Aluminum-"Gorilla"-Tiller), f.e. of 2008, and sail her in the same conditions. You sure find out that, what I found out: the new Laser is easier/better to sail!! :)

Of course, you may "tune up" an old Laser a few and make you life easier at that old Laser:
XD-Controlsystems for Cunningham/Outhaul, and XD Vang. Padded Hikingstrap. Aluminum "Gorilla"-tiller or Carbon tiller (as you like it and able to pay for). Carbon tiller-extension ~48"-length. Centerboard shockcord. Automatic bailer. Ballbeared ratchet-block for the mainsheet. Diameter 7mm "kink-free" mainsheet (such as from "Bzz" or "Polilite"). Vectran rope for the traveller, aluminum camcleat (traveller). Velcro-strap for the Clew of the sail. If you go out to race competitive: a new sail of North or Hyde / If you sail recreational: a new sail of Intensity Sails, Roostersailing, or I-sail/Insails. If you feel, your sailing abilities got much better, then you think of changing to a newer (used) Laser in "GXD"-outfit.

For your 2nd question, visit this website:
http://www.laserinternational.org/information/formula.htm

Ciao
LooserLu

What's a maple boat?

You don't need new spars. There's a line of thinking that the old spars are better than the new ones.

I'm younger now than I was when I started sailing 5 years ago. :cool:

Merrily- thanks! I'll be (ahem) "40 -eleven" this month, a fit 135 lb woman who sailed fast and extremly light boats as a teenager (old-style Mothboats). Haven't sailed much since, until last summer, and I'm finding that I get younger every time I sail. That being said, I'm out of commission on windy days, so am seriously considering investing in a radial rig. Curious how much of a learning curve there is... any input from you very patient and experienced folks out there?

, a fit 135 lb woman

Man, (or woman), you really need a Radial. Until then, you could try reefing the sail (never done it myself). Take out the top batten, pull on the cunningham, and wrap the sail 3 times around the mast. You'll need a longer outhaul line. Just a thought.

Another idea for windy days, pull up the centerboard to depower.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Masoncreek! Soon you'll only be 40-ten.

Back