I am a sailor now!

KingJPW

I had my first sail yesterday in my 1999 Mod 3 and overall it was a great success. This is my second sailboat, and the failures on the first boat (AMF Puffer) prepared my for success on my Capri 14. I launched into the San Diego Bay at Pepper Park boat launch. After getting the high end mixture set properly on my 1977 2hp Johnson, I headed out the ½ mile into the big bay. Once I was well into the open water, I cut the engine and began to relaxed. I didn’t have nearly enough time to sail as it was getting dark, but I was able to hoist the sails, sail upwind, perform one tack, sail a reach, then one gibe, and then a run back to the boat ramp. Overall I was in the water maybe an hour.

For me, key items are:
a) A boat that doesn’t leak. They start off great but after a few hours don’t sail the same. 
b) A small outboard engine. (No electric battery and trolling for me)
c) Telltails mounted on sails.
d) And most importantly, a tiller tamer. I will post a detailed drawing of my tiller tamer solution later. It really works great and gave me the ability to move around and make adjustments with confidence.

I still have lots to figure out, especially improving my rigging procedure, but wow I was so excited at the end of the day!

If I recall correctly, mine weighs 27 lbs. Very easy for me to handle, and I am no weightlifter.

Back