Hull weight

I have never owned a heavy Laser, none has weighed over 129, so I cannot comment on too heavy.
I did own a 115 pound boat. It was a rocket for about six months and then started noticably breaking down.
By the time the boat was one year old, the hull was flexing on almost every upwind wave and I had lost my edge in big breeze.
When the boat was near the end of its second season, the cockpit broke lengthwise from front to back and began self draining to the inside of the boat.
Although heavy is always going to mean extra displacement, stiffness and durability are factors which might be enhanced by the addition of a little extra material.

Over 130, I wouldn't want to know my boat's weight. Placebo matters.

Over 140?? Maybe non Scheidts could notice it.

Over 150...I gotta believe most of us could notice it.

Over 160...carry the damn thing yourself. That's like four gallons of water in the boat.

my weighed in at 137 and it's only one year old. I might be able to get some weight out of it (it was a drizzly day and there are some filler bits I can knock out), but I think 134 would be lowest possible. Hmmm.

What is the accuracy on the equipment you are using to weigh the boat. A lot of consumer scales have quite a large error margin. They tend to be consistent (i.e. repeatable)but the absolute reading is subject to error.

Ian

I think you should weigh 128-129 with all the deck gear bolted on, incl PRO cleats, ratchet, strap, and traveler line. I've recently weighed my '05 and '07 ('08 model year). I put a port in the '08 and found dampness inside, after it was used at the Trials.

I believe 125 is the target for a bare boat, with nothing bolted on. I'd be serious about drying out a 137 pounder, especially before Winter.

Al

Thanks for your input. I am having it reweighed on the weekend to check the accuracy of the last weigh in.

Back