Hull prep brand new boat

captfallin

Hi All, I am buying a new (09) boat. Any ideas on hull prep, as in sanding (600 or finer), products to apply, ETC ?
Thanks for any feedback.

No hull prep required at all.

Not sure why you'd want to take to new hull with anything abrasive before even sailing the boat...

Don't want to, thought it was the thing to do. Had talked to someone from old school but would rather not sand a new hull.

i know this is debated all the time, but i am a fan of teflon polish. only if you have a good electric spin applicator. that first coat should keep you fast and clean for awhile. it does help prevent the yellowing and picking up that bathtub scum line. easier to wash off after racing.

or you can do it the other way and just do it by hand. or what i have come to like is using a compound pollish which is just like using 10000 grit sandpaper. if your sanding at all always go in the direction of water flow

also if you are new to the boat and there is any possibility of accidents hapening i would suggest against using teflon because repairs will not cure to it properly. eventhough its a new boat if you do anything i would suggest compound pollish. i have been tought for awhile to sand instead of using pollish

polish is the same thing as sanding with extremly fine sandpaper. thats what the small beads in it do.

You really don't need to do anything with a brand new boat. Just go sailing. I can promise you that the top guys don't polish a brand new hull, and they don't leave anything to chance.

Just keep it clean, and fix dings and scratches as and when they occur.

also ask whoever you buy the boat from if all the fittings have been sailed up. with new 420's from ps2000 you have to put silicone on every fittiing so be careful about that with your boat. i still am a fan on putting a nicer finnish on your boat but its very individual. one thing to be aware of is that new daggerboards come with some wax on em so you can sand it a little bit so its not slipery when you jump on it

Back