how would you have done the JC clew sleeve differently?

R

Ross B

Chainsaw the responded to my latest post on my blog (are the rest of you reading?) on two new ideas I had, the one pertaining to this thread was that we could do with an emergency clew line, which I would just tie around end of the boom, a and then through the clew and back the other side of the boom and onto it self, and yes, Finns and Europe's do this too

but Chainsaw begs the question here: how would I have done it?

I had already thought of this! I would just use the current JC clew sleeve, and have extended the flanges, so that the clew could fit in between them, and then you would put a fast pin through one side, through the clew, and out the other side, there were also be two holes on the bottom of this flange for a shackle(possibly) and a block would go through the shackle

kinda iffy on the shackle, haven't really gotten that far yet...

how would everyone else done it?

What's the purpose of this? Why does the clew have to be/need to be double secured to the boom?

ignore the first thing, it was just thought of as a safety line in case the clew comes unhooked from the current JC sleeve, shoulda clarified that

Ross,
I have to ask this in the nicest of ways; are you really happy sailing Lasers ? I ask as all you seem to want to do is change them the entire time. For me, a Laser is a Laser. As a one design its really a matter of getting out on the water and sailing against other virtually identical boats. My impression (and much of the reason I went for a Laser) is that the class is not a "continual upgrades" class - just get out there and sail it as it is.

Of course there are occasional changes, but these are occasional and not a matter of having to spend loads of off-water time installing/upgrading/modifying bits here and there.

Sounds to me as though you might be happier sailing a more open class or even a development class.

Just my observations

Ian

Ross,
I have to ask this in the nicest of ways; are you really happy sailing Lasers ? I ask as all you seem to want to do is change them the entire time. For me, a Laser is a Laser. As a one design its really a matter of getting out on the water and sailing against other virtually identical boats. My impression (and much of the reason I went for a Laser) is that the class is not a "continual upgrades" class - just get out there and sail it as it is.

Of course there are occasional changes, but these are occasional and not a matter of having to spend loads of off-water time installing/upgrading/modifying bits here and there.

Sounds to me as though you might be happier sailing a more open class or even a development class.

Just my observations

Ian

This is a legitimate thing to ask, but I think you should create its own thread. You've just done what Ross is prone to do, hijacked a thread. I mean that in the nicest of ways. :)

well Chainsaw asked the question, not me

and it is legal to create your own boom sleeve

and for the last time, I am happy sailing with a laser, I just question everything
I AM NOT A ROBOT!!!! lol

and it is legal to create your own boom sleeve

and for the last time, I am happy sailing with a laser, I just question everything
I AM NOT A ROBOT!!!! lol

It's not legal to create your own sleeve. When the builder supplied sleeve was approved, they specifically re-wrote the rule to clean up the gray area about hard sleeves vs soft straps

Clew Tie Down – also see Rules 3(a) & 3(b)
i. The clew of the sail shall be attached to the boom by either a tie line or a webbing strap with or without a fastening device wrapped around the boom and through the sail cringle, a quick release system attached to a tie line or soft strap wrapped around the boom, or a "Builder Supplied" stainless steel boom slide with quick release system.
ii. If the clew tie down is a tie line, it may be passed through solid balls with holes and/or tubes to reduce friction.

ok, your right, but will you guys work with me here, lets just have a hypothetical conversation about how it could be better, crien out loud..

you guys also need to understand what kind of person I am, I was the kind of kid that always asked my parents "why" and "how", endlessly... I always asked how this worked this way, why this did that, and not that, always asking questions

one of the first things I always end up doing on every boat is I try to figure out how all the rigging could be made more efficent, what could be changed for the better, its just the way I am

soooo lets just stick with my origional question here, how would you have done it differently?

what do you think of the one I proposed?

Could somebody clarify then: What is a JC Clew Sleeve ? I asked here (a separate thread) and was clearly told there is only one Clew Sleeve and its a Harken one. Is the Harken one also a JC one or are there differences and is one better ?

Ian

its the same thing.. I call it the JC clew sleeve because it is a clew sleeve, and it was designed by JC

Hi everyone Chainsaw here,

Lets go back to what Chainsaw posted on Ross' blogsite just to clear up a few things.

Chainsaw said...

You raised an interesting point about clew fixings here, Ross.

Something I've thought about for a while. I'd be interested to see your ideas on a fast(ish) release, yet still completely fail safe clew and outhaul set up. It stands to reason you could do it entirely within the rules.

To my mind, it's easy to go back to the old way of tying the outhaul to the clew and tying the clew to the boom with a piece of spectra. But you loose the purchase of the clew block if you tie directly to the clew ring in the sail, which makes a considerable difference when yanking on the outhaul.

I've seen a laser drifting off down the shipping channel in Auckland with a flapping clew. Who knows how it happened, but clearly it does. I've personally had one of those velcro clew strappy things come undone in 25 -35 knots with heaps of vang on.

After that I went back to tying the clew to the boom.

I've not yet had a harken hook let go, but they certainly look boarderline with the strange twisting angles they make under load.

There are ways around these things that you learn with experience, but I can see that with so many new comers to the laser class each year they needed a simple alternative.

May 6, 2007 3:36 PM

Hope this helps,

Chainsaw

;) I encourage all posters at Laserforum.com to visit Ross' blogsite. Just stop in and say hello, how's life, shoot the breeze etc. Anything will do.

i have a peice of line thru a shackle and tied to the boom. the outhaul purchase runs of the shackle and a shockchord runs from the shackle to the old outhaul cleat. so on light air days you can let out the outhaul and it goes forward. it seems to work for me. I see kids with all kinds of contraptions that always seem to come unhooked at teh wrong time.

Have fitted the JC sleve and it works fine for me - although I notice it sets up better with the Radial Sail I have rather than the Standard sails.

Have noticed however that some friends have experienced less than perfect glide. Not sure whether this is boom roughness but tend to think it may be 'twisting' of the sleeve or extending (opening it too much and twisting it)while trying to fit it onto the boom from the gooseneck end and around existing fittings. The ones that seem to hive trouble seem to slightly gouge at the forward edge of the sleeve (re-introducing the binding effect the old line had).

The instructions on mine warned against opening the sleeve too far when installing it but did not mention twist. If the new sleeve doesn't slide like butter even after you Mc Lube or use Armour All - maybe twist is a problem. Some previous posts also mentioned variations in the cotter pin length - shorter pins would theoretically close the sleeve tighter, maybe inhibit hook freedom to assume the correct angle to load etc. There is als a question of clew cringle placement in some older sails.

The binding problem indicated above seems only apparent in terms of the ease with which the clew will release (move foreward to the tack) without bungee cord when the outhaul is released. If not confident in de-twisting the assembly, maybe the sleeve (but not the hook and pin orientations to port) could be simply reveresed. Might mean the Laser logo stamped on the sleve will be going backwards but if it works so what.

Back