How to use (Nexus 103re)

laser170654

I have just started to use the nexus 103re laser compass I bought!
does anyone have any tips how to use it or helpful information. I am totally new to using a compass and I would appreciate all help given!
Thanks

I would also get a grease pencil to use for writing headings down. Then, before a race, sail on one tack for a while and write down all of the headings for the lifts/heads you get. That way, you'll know wether you're on a lift or a head at any given time.

laser170654 said:
I have just started to use the nexus 103re laser compass I bought!
does anyone have any tips how to use it or helpful information. I am totally new to using a compass and I would appreciate all help given!
Thanks

This is the combination standard degrees and tactical compass, right? Did it come with instructions? If not, I have the instructions for my old Nexus 103 tactical that I can scan and send you. Basically, when you sail on one tack, if it says, for example, 2 on the tactical scale, then it should say 12 when sailing on the opposite tack. If it says anything else, then you've been lifted or headed. It should always be 10 apart if the wind is steady. I believe that on starboard the numbers go up when you are headed and when you are on port they go down, but knowing me, I could have that backward.

As for the grease pencil thing, I've been meaning to try that. What do you use for a solvent to get it off of the deck?

Merrily said:
This is the combination standard degrees and tactical compass, right? Did it come with instructions? If not, I have the instructions for my old Nexus 103 tactical that I can scan and send you. Basically, when you sail on one tack, if it says, for example, 2 on the tactical scale, then it should say 12 when sailing on the opposite tack. If it says anything else, then you've been lifted or headed. It should always be 10 apart if the wind is steady. I believe that on starboard the numbers go up when you are headed and when you are on port they go down, but knowing me, I could have that backward.

As for the grease pencil thing, I've been meaning to try that. What do you use for a solvent to get it off of the deck?

APS sells a (4x7") course board (JCD017; $17) on which you can doodle with a grease pencil. I suppose you can mount the board with "Velcro". But I don't know how 'practical' this is on a high-intensity boat like a Laser.

Back