How to transport Mast/booms/sails

roccaas

Cartop.

I was thinking of a large enough and long enough PVC tube with a fixed cap at the "bow" and a removable (screw or clamp on) at the "stern". Strap to the top of the car. Drill holes in the whole pipe and caps to ventilate the interior. Don't store anything wet for long in "The TUBE".

Anyone else have a similar idea or set up?

Much Obliged!

If you won't be storing your rig for long in the PVC tube, venting the 'stern' is all that is necessary, I would think. I have seen webbing used for that purpose. And if you search the Forum, you may find some other threads that address this issue.

PS: In my younger years when I was cartopping my fish, I just tied a commercially available zippered sailing bag (with the spars and sail in it) to the roof rack.

I concur with using a bag of some sort, as it will be easier to secure to a roof rack than a round, rigid tube. I made a spar carrying tube from 9 inch I.D. green IPEX pipe, fortunately it is fixed on a trailer and doesn't require any moving, this thing is "heavy" even when empty, I couldn't imagine lashing it to a roof rack. I'm sure there are lots of sources for zip up bags. Sailmakers make "sausage bags" for laminate sails, these bags are as long as the foot of the sails they will be carrying, so most would accomodate Sunfish spars/sails.

Back