How to repair small hole in hiking pants?

mee168

Hi all,
Last week, I torn my hiking pants and a small hole was created near the edge of the right leg. The material inside was revealed. :(

I am thinking of patching it up with a nice cute picture... But I am not too sure how to sew it on and whether the normal sewing thread will last on hiking pants material. Any advice?

My pants is from Sail Equipment Australia (SEA) suspender type. See attach jpeg picture.

thanks,

Attachments

• SEA hiking pants - shorts.jpg
    SEA hiking pants - shorts.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 37
Hmm... I think my sailing friends won't mind.. or they don't bother... some sailors do paste nice pictures on their boats.. every one is having different style of their own.. one of them has a palm size flat soft toy hanging near the vang whenever that sailor goes out in water... as some sort of company...

My worry is whether the normal sewing thread will work on hiking pant material which I think is of neoprene...

Would appreciate if anyone has repaired torn hiking pant before to share his/her experience with me... would be good enough..

I've sewn up tears in neoprene hiking pants before. I'm no sewing expert, but I used a strong nylon thread and it held up for years. You also need a large needle to get through the neoprene.

says me??

Dive shop. Wet suits. More divers than sailors. More use. More tears. More experience. More expensive to replace. More lilkely to be fixed.Go visit a dive shop.

Second?? I wear neoprene shorts over my hiking pants. Neoprene shorts cost about $35 and last about a year. My hiking pants stopped weqring out when I started always using the shorts over them.
Now all I ever replace is suspenders and $35 shorts.

mee168 said:
one of them has a palm size flat soft toy hanging near the vang whenever that sailor goes out in water..

Hmmm...think I'll get me some fuzzy dice.

Hello mee168,
Here's one thing you might try to fix your hikers. Check into one of the better fishing stores (Academy, Bass pro shops or Cabelas) should have one. The same patch kit for neoprene waders should work just fine for your hikers. I know that Hodgeman waders come with a patch kit for small holes which is I believe basically rubber cement. You just lay a coat of cement over the hole and let it cure. The good thing about it is the fact that it stretches the same as the material around it and the porosity of the neoprene makes for an excellent bond it is a good effective patch in my humble opinion.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Thanks to all for your opinion.. I think they are good enough for me to start sourcing out and get my hikers fixed up... ;) Thanks a zillion

Back