how to remove corroded deck drain plug?

Jack

Hi,
I have a couple of questions about the corroded metal drain plug on the deck of my boat.
I have tried screwdrivers and other tools, but can not get the drain plug to turn. Will heating it help?
What was the merit in placing the drain plug there in the first place?
Thank you.

It'll pop right out with a screwdriver - in fact, you can buy some time before replacing it by popping it in and out - the key is to make sure that you don't lose those two little pins. See the link below for directions and information.

In in the interim, see the link below as well for some options on replacement plugs. Most only cost about ten bucks, and are easy to install. Also, if you order a plug from West Marine, you can have the plug sent to a local store, and thus avoid shipping charges.

Link: http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=29588

What was the merit in placing the drain plug there in the first place?
PBA - nice one..., ok I'll catch up the trivia part. ;)

The boat was designed with all sizes of sailors in mind. Smaller sailors wouldn't be able to lift one end high enough to drain the hull, but they could most likely roll the boat up on it's side.

... plus, sometimes bedding foam cuts off a clear drainage path to the transom.

I recall as a youngster draining a Sailfish through the bow mounted drain outlet was sometimes a three kid job.

It is too bad that Sunfish don't come stock with a drain plug in the transom like the Laser and most other small craft. As most Sunfish sailors sail off a trailer or a dolly, it would then easy to simply tip the boat back, open the drain and let the hull drain without the need to tip the boat in its side. I have installed transom drains on project boats and it does require that one carefully drill out some of the interior foam to allow water inside the hull to find the drain, but it is not a hard fix.

I have never seen a definitive ruling from the class on whether or not it is OK to retrofit a Sunfish with a transom drain. Some feel it is allowed under the "inspection port" rules, but I would like to see a definitive ruling and then I would like to see the drains installed on new boats at the factory.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back