how-to reef

markhamlin

On vanguard's website http://teamvanguard.com/2005/base/c...s&dir=core&page=boats_tuning&boatid=4#tuning6, it says this about windy days/reefing:
"There are a few ways to go sailing on a really breezy day. One is to reef the sail. Take the top batten out, wrap the sail two or three times tightly and neatly around the mast, and rig up. A special 12’ outhaul line, which allows 2-1 and then reaches the cleat without the purchase is best. It needs to be pulled quite tight, but won’t be adjusted. The cunningham should be pulled very tight, and the daggerboard can be left up a little to balance the helm. Another way is to put two people on the boat, with one doing the tiller and the other the sheet. Remind sailors not to let the boom out too far downwind, and not to gybe because it can be hard to duck at just the right time with two people. Have a towline tied to the mast and coiled, just in case. The only way to get comfortable in the big breeze is to go do it, so don’t let those days go wasted!!!"
I was reading about reefing, and it seems very controversial about whether-or-not it's a good idea. I don't want to start the if-it's-a-good-idea-or-not conversation, but just *how* do you reef? Vanguard's instructions don't make sense to me. Do you just wrap the sail around? Doesn't it unwrap itself, or does having the outhaul very tight stop it from unwrapping?

Back