How to reef with Sailrite reefing kit?

Gary Hannan

I am going to be installing Sailrite's Jiffy Reefing kit soon, but I am confused sa to how to use it once the sail is modified. The brief instructions on their web site says to rais the boom up to the level of the grommets on the sail. Not sure how to do that without fiddling with the traveler. I had thought the the boom would stay in place and the head of the sail would be lowered to the point where the grommets were at the (original) boom level. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks.

Gary, I am not making this comment from hands on as I have not yet installed a "reefing kit" so I do stand corrected. I have however read the very same reefing instructions you are referring to and this is how I interpret it (in Italics);

1. Ease the main sheet until the sail flogs (Since at this 1st stage the boom will be raised at it's leech end, the main sheet has to be eased to allow for this movement)

2. Pull the boom up to the leech Jiffy grommet. (By pulling on the leech reefing line the end of the boom will move up until it is at the leech reefing grommet)

3. Ease the halyard the proper amount. (Now to lower the end of the boom back to where it was, I would ease the halyard the proper amount and place a mark on the halyard for future fererence)

4. Pull the luff grommet down to the goose neck. (Now to set the luff I would pull down on the line at the luff grommet which would be similar to setting the cunningham)

So basically, the end of the boom is first raised to the level of the leech grommet, which means it is tilting up towards the leech end. Then once the line is secure the halyard is eased until the boom is back to it's original attitude. The luff can now be adjusted to suit the wind conditions. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Woodbark's system works if your using a dual line reefing system , and is prefered if you dont use a topping lift or boomkicker. if you are using a single line reefing system you must have a sailstop above the gooseneck or other method to prevent it from climbing up .

Practice reefing your boat before you need to, there are things to learn in the driveway :)

When you find the sweet spot , mark your halyard (I use a laundry marker) to some permanent point above the halyard cleat . I line mine up with the lower measurement band .

I use a topping lift on my C14.2 I have a Boomkicker on my C22

Have fun!

Rob

Rob

Back