How to pull sheet in fast?

rock steady

OK, your sailing down the run and manage to almost catch the boat in front. They take the leeward mark a little wide and you can see room to squeeze inside. However, you need to get that mainsheet pulled in damm fast, power on close hauled and sail over the top of them.

What techniques do people use to pull the sheet in REALLY fast? I use both hands whilst steering, but often end up with rope wrapped around my legs, tiller extension or everywhere.

very quick, short hand movements not long pulls

id say 15-20cm at a time

to make it easier, pull some vang on and head up as you pull the sheet in to minimise load while keeping speed up

huh... i always thought you do like 3-4 big ones and sort of stand up to heel the boat a little and flatten.. you get one of those pumps around the mark's. i could be wrong but thats what i thought. also try to pull it in as you head up... sort of hard but little things like that help. then half way through heading up your sails not all the way in.

Ya, big hand over hand pulls. Get the mess cleaned up after you round and are headed upwind.

Thanks for the advice. I will practice both style and see what works. Does anyone use their teeth?

Does everyone then kick the rope mess to the back of the cockpit?

i used my teeth once in a coaching session and he yelled at me so i dont think you should do that. plus its probably bad for your teeth

rock steady said:
Does anyone use their teeth?

No, don't use your teeth. If you do hand over hand motions your teeth will get in the way. With a long enough tiller extension you can hold the tiller extension and use it to grab your sheet and pull it. You can even steer the boat as needed. Grab the sheet just above the rachet and pull up high, then grab the sheet again with the other hand above the rachet. Repeat as necessary. It takes practice. Sometimes the sheet goes all over the place as you do this, so clean up after. One time my sheet got caught up on the end of my boom, which was not good. I had to tack to loosen it up.

hand over hand. I don't think grabbing as much as you can at a time is right though. A full arm length, and that way there is some muscle memory or some such gauge for you to think about. Smoother too if you are pulling the same amount each hand and not just going crazy.

I don't know if that made any sense at ALL.

Back