How to practice righting capsized sunfish

milbst

I've read that it is a good idea to practice righting a capsized sunfish. What is the best way to do this?

warm, sunny day... the kind that makes you want to jump into the water anyways.

go out and dump the boat over..

pull it back up

Make sure your mast is tied down and the bungee is on your board...

How do you dump the boat over safely?? Two people on one side leaning?? or in strong wind making a certain manuver?? Do you right the boat by pulling on one side, standing on dagger board??

Aaa – I think I’m beginning to get the picture. You haven’t rigged the boat or had it out yet anywhere. Even if you set it up on your lawn you’d know it doesn’t need a category 5 wind to practice tipping with. Ok then –

Like the guide booklet shows, rig the boat like you would to go for a sail, walk the boat into waist deep water or deeper, get on or stand next to it , grab the mast and lean the boat over. It will tip like a canoe. One person can do it . Now – point the boat’s bow to the wind, move to the bottom side and grab the tip of the dagger board, pull like you are doing a chin-up, let your feet come off the lake bottom so you use your whole body, as the boat begins to return upright shift your hands from the dagger board to the side of the boat and keep pulling. When the boat is back to normal pull yourself aboard. Awkward at first. After a few tries you get the timing and hand positioning down to a science and it becomes easy. I get the impression you are imaging the move to be daunting. You’ll see it’s quite easy once you go for it.

Check around where you live to see if there’s a small boat sailing class being offered. I think you’ll find taking a class will provide you with some reassuring guidance.

Back