how to hike

I capsized 3 times this weekend.
This was due to gusts and I was getting them on a reach.
My problem was that I could not hike far enough.
After letting some sail out,I was just holding on for dear life and couldn't even sheet in.
Any suggestions welcome.......

I capsized 3 times this weekend.
This was due to gusts and I was getting them on a reach.
My problem was that I could not hike far enough.
After letting some sail out,I was just holding on for dear life and couldn't even sheet in.
Any suggestions welcome.......

Head up, too, while letting the sail out. That'll slow you down.

It would help to know which rig, how much you weigh and what the windspeed was.

What was your vang setting (same as upwind, ie on hard, eased somewhat or ) ?

How high up was your daggerboard ?

How about cunningham and outhaul ?

When the puffs hit, were they causing the boat to head up and then you were capsizing ?

When it windy enough that you have to hike hard on a beam reach, the vang should be eased enough that you can spill power out of the upper 1/3 of the sail if a gust hits by easing mainsheet. You also want to have the daggerboard up enough that the boat doesn't "trip" over it, which happens when a puff hits, the boat heels and rounds up. Instead lift it higher so the boat slides somewhat.

Cunningham and outhaul can stay on tight.. If you have an adjustable hiking strap, tighten it up just before you round the windward mark and hike off the back of it (ie have your weight back in the cockpit) it's faster and keeps the bow from digging in, which you want to avoid when a puff hits, as it will also tend to steer the boat instead of you.

If you are fully hiked with the controls set as above, planing at warp speed, and a puff hits at this point, bear away slightly while easing mainsheet to control heel. If you let the boat head up at this point, the usual result is the end of the boom catching in the water, which pivots the boats faster into the wind and usual result is a capsize.

Is your toestrap length correct for you?

You want it set so that when you are hiking you have equal pressure on your thighs and the back of your calfs.
Your feet should NOT be up in the air, toe strap is too long.
Make sure the strap is comfortable over your foot/ankle, try to keep pressure on joint to a minimum.
Straight legs! It will hurt whilst your muscles get used to it, but is the only way to hike a laser. Good core strength so you can move your body weight in/out as necessary.

Remember you cannot hike at 100% all the time. You may need to do this for brief time in gusts but you'll run out of energy before the end of the race if you do. You need to be able to depower your rig through kicker/outhaul/cunningham and playing the main as gusts hit to ensure you can then hike appropriately.

Is your toestrap length correct for you?

You want it set so that when you are hiking you have equal pressure on your thighs and the back of your calfs.
Your feet should NOT be up in the air, toe strap is too long.
Make sure the strap is comfortable over your foot/ankle, try to keep pressure on joint to a minimum.
Straight legs! It will hurt whilst your muscles get used to it, but is the only way to hike a laser. Good core strength so you can move your body weight in/out as necessary.

Remember you cannot hike at 100% all the time. You may need to do this for brief time in gusts but you'll run out of energy before the end of the race if you do. You need to be able to depower your rig through kicker/outhaul/cunningham and playing the main as gusts hit to ensure you can then hike appropriately.

Good advice from Sailorchick. Escpecially the part about not hiking to 100% all the time, you will just tire easily then the mistakes start creeping in.

Definitely work on your fitness if you want to sail when it does blow and work on your technique. Even changing down a rig size when you know it is too windy for you. I am 185lbs (85kg) and have been known to chuck a radial on when it gets really windy. I prefer this to struggling against the full rig (although my skill and ability have improved so my max wind speed has gone up).

You will notice the difference if you get fit to sail rather than sail to get fit. When all your clubmates are falling over and making silly mistakes because they are too tired you can keep on driving and sail on past. When I started my 'get fit' just over ayear ago I did notice the difference very quickly. I did not ache the day after sailing even if it was a breezy day.

The other thing to do is to get yourself along to a class training day. We had one at my local club, it blew 20kts+ for most of the day but everyone got out and everyone improved, even the comparitive novices were enjoying the breeze by the end of the day (not many of them raced the following day however).

I think there are a lot of differences in hiking style depending upon sailor height.

I know taller sailors put their toes under the leeward toerail, and the hiking strap is across their lower legs. They tend to like a nice wide, fat hiking strap.

I'm 5' 6", so I have my toes in the strap. I like to have a hiking strap that is padded, but not particularly wide. I can't hook my toes into it otherwise.

I know taller sailors put their toes under the leeward toerail, and the hiking strap is across their lower legs. They tend to like a nice wide, fat hiking strap.

I've seen this advocated and practiced this in lighter air, where full on hiking is not required, yet getting out of the boat a bit is beneficial, but I don't think you'll see anyone, regardless of height, doing this when full hiking becomes necessary.

Back