How to fix Rudder pox?

pugwash

Hello,

I am new to lasers and plan to race when spring comes around - I have just got a 2002 - the hull is in pretty good shape but I need some advice how to fix up the rudder.

There are rust spots on the blade - most are only superficial but with some it looks like the reinforcing bar is rusting and is pushing up the surface of the foil.

See pics

Any advice how to fix this is much appreciated?

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 59
1. You could do nothing and it will probably last you for quite a few years and not be that big an effect. Depends on your level of racing.

2. You could sand the surface so that the blade is fair (back to it's original shape) and treat the surface rust with Ospho or naval jelly and paint over it.

Know that in the above cases the reinforcing rods are liable to keep rusting and expanding and that eventually the problem will get worse. But it could take years to become a big deal.

3. You could do major surgery on the blade and grind out all the effective areas and clean the rods down to bare metal and then refill your holes and repaint. Depending on how good you do it, it could be a permanent repair. Or maybe there is still hidden rust that you don't find and it will start all over again in time. . .

4. Or you could buy another blade, they're about US$140 and save yourself the time and aggravation.

Personally I'd go with option 1 until it bugged me enough to go to option 2 or even go straight to option 4. But then it's hard to say what will win when my cheapness comes into conflict with my laziness!

-Steve

There's in in-between choices 2 & 3 above, that I have used with good sucess.
Take a grinder on edge (or a dremel tool with either the sanding drum or one of the stone grinders) and just nick each rust spot - you only need to go down 1/8" (2-3mm) - I've always found shiny metal at that point - fill the area with your favorite fairing compound (epoxy or polyester works, even good old Bondo will do the job here), sand smooth, go sailing.. Painting after is a nice touch, but not nec - I've yet to have any of the rust spots return

Thanks steve and "49208" - your help is much appreciated - I will go with the in-between 2-3 cure for the rust spots. The Canadian winter gives me plenty of time to fix this up!

Rust-O-Leum has a big spray can of High Performance Enamel that does a pretty good job holding up over blade like yours. I did a few last year by sanding away the rust with 180 sandpaper and then simply spraying the blade again. So far only a couple spots have rusted back through on one of the blades. I got about two blades per $5 can of paint. Most of the blades got a quick sand, a quick squirt and another quick sand and squirt. Then after a long dry the leading edges got more paint and then everything got a light rub with 320.
It helps a lot to dry the blades in hot sun so the paint gets really hard.

In Canada I would probably hang the blades near a radiator or somewherre near but not too close to the fireplace.

Back