How to determine "year " of sunfish

twshortt

I am looking at buying a used Sunfish from a person and I was wondering how to determine the year of the boat. There is a plate on the boat with the first two numbers "62 and the last two numbers "82".

Would either of these represent the year?

Usually the last two digits represent the year on later model boats. Early model boats I don't believe did it that way. A good way to tell if it is a 70's and earlier is there is no storage compartment in the cockpit. If there is then I would guess that its an 82'

Take a look at Yahoo Sunfish Sailor. In the files section is a history of the SF by year and ser.# along with notes about changes to the SF over the years. Also notes on how to decipher the ser. #. Also check Wind Line Sails article on Buying a Used SF. http://www.windline.net/index.html

You said there was a "plate" on the boat. If that's so, it's not an '82. An '82 would have HID numbers engraved on the transom. If the plate is behind the splash rail, the serial number is on it and it's older than '82.

Fred

Fred is correct if the number is on a "plate" behind the splash guard. The plate is black and silver with the SF and Sailfish on it and the four-five digit ser.# . Based on the info you have supplied, your SF is either a 1962 (four digit) or a 1969 (five digit). Other clues: 1972 and later boats have the 12 digit letter/number ser. # in the upper right corner of the transom, Ser.# Starts with AMF or other 3 three letter Id; No storage area - pre '71/2; Bronze rudder parts ("Round rudder"), pre '72 (unless upgraded).

Back