how tippy

Your question depends on several factors:
1. Blades up or down? When the daggerboard is down, the boat is very stable, but with the board up, it's not unlike being in a canoe.
2. Wind speed? Heavy winds and improper sail adjustment can cause the boat to list to leeward more than usual (the side the wind is going towards)
3. Crew weight? A light crew will have more difficulty balancing out the sail's power and the boat will list.

PS.
If you've never sailed one of these boats before, they're a blast. I learned to sail on a Sunfish. They're easy and simple to control but they can really get going fast in a stiff breeze. If you're concerned about capsizing (tipping), take someone out with you on your first run or two who knows these boats and how they respond. Also, capsizing is a part on dinghy sailing and you should learn to accept it for what it is. Sometimes it can be fun, most of the time, it's not so fun, but hey, it is what it is.
Best regards
BRIAN

at this point all i have is the hull. and i haven't sailed before but i am intimately acquainted with getting wet. thanks for your explanation

Sunfish seems to encourge tipping over on hot days, was always fun for me. Dinghys are another kettle of fish. They swamp rather than tip over, then you bale
and bale and bale some more. :eek:

My friends and I never tipped over by accident, even in high winds you really gotta make a effort to push in over the last part of the way. Best beginner boat in the world, if you panic, just let go of everything and the Sunfish will come into the wind and wait while you try to fish the sheet out of the water. Just make sure you tie a gallon milk jug to the top of the mast, get the mast stuck in the mud and the fun is gone.

Like the man says, tipping over is a part of sailing, also canoeing, row boating, etc. Gotta learn self rescue or ya might not be around to be rescued.

at this point all i have is the hull. and i haven't sailed before but i am intimately acquainted with getting wet
OK, you found a beautiful Corvette body in the junk yard. Now all you need is an engine, transmission, axles, wheels, interior, and window glass. Get 'er on the road [water] and most of your questions will be answered in the first five minutes. Look for a free pamphlet called Learn to Sail a Sunfish in 3 Days. U'll b a sailer in no time. All kidding aside :cool:

i'm looking forward to it. i need everything but the gasoline. i appreciate all the feedback. dw

I know for a fact that the brochure (Learn to sail in 3 days) is on the Yahoo Sunfish Sailor group in their files section. You need to sign up with Yahoo to look at it, but if you already have a Yahoo email address it's a piece of cake; just join the group.
Best Regards,
Brian

I hope you realize that Learn To Sail in Three Days is an advertisement. I have sailed Sunfishes for some thirty years and I am STILL learning. OK, maybe I am a slow learner :(, but nevertheless...

i'll check it out. thanks for all the help. i'll especially keep keep a sharp eye out for the advertising. dw

aw shucks :p - - - all they do is convieniently forget to mention the practice element. It's just like late night TV get-rich-quick seminars - - hear it, read it, buy the DVD -- poof, your an expert. :rolleyes:

OK, so consider it a 3 day checklist of the basics you'll practice the rest of your sailing career. It still gives you a good path to follow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

So how's this advice instead - - - Get a copy of the Sunfish Bible ( http://www.apsltd.com/c-2400-sunfish-booksdvdsandmodels.aspx ), read all the stuff on basic setting up and sailing, practice it until it all becomes second nature, move on to the next level. :eek:

Back