How Fast?

xkeller

How fast does a Laser sail? Has anyone ever had a boat with a log go beside them on different points of sail to see how fast they are going? Has anyone used a handheld GPS? but does that just give speed over ground?

When Michael Blackburn sailed a Laser across the Bass Strait he had a GPS and recorded a top speed of 19.7 knots.

I know personally I have gone about 12 knots in a radial, I know because I have a handheld GPS. I have gone faster, but not had the GPS onboard sadly. It seems to run out of batteries whenever it would be awesome to see.

When Michael Blackburn sailed a Laser across the Bass Strait he had a GPS and recorded a top speed of 19.7 knots.

++++18.67 KNOTS+++++ Well, my name is BOSCO, and just 10 days ago l did some fantastic sailing with my laser (radial rig that day), in Southern Sardinia. The wind was onshore, 25 knots, with waves 6 feet high, over a ground swell of 8 feet. So some trough were 14 feet deep, but long and fairly smooth, giving terrific condition for surfing. Deep water, no shallow effect.
My GPS was set to zero before starting, but was not readable on starboard tack. l noticed some great speed 17 knots on the dial. But arriving in harbour l looked at the +MAX SPEED+ window, and holly stuff, it was 34.6 Kilometers/hour, which, converted comes to 18.67 knots (l naut.mile equals 1853 meters, or 1.853 kilometer). But what strikes me most is the fact that l had the feeling of great speed and surf, but l am certain l made much better in my life........ So let's open a contest. (But dont forget to reset your GPS before sailing, otherwise you may log 60 knots on the motorway....)
Have fun,
Bosco, GGM USA 3113

Yes, it's fast, but l am convinced that l was far below to what can be done. l beleive that 25 knots could be reached. Bosco, laser 3113

Back