how fast does a laser go??

Re: how fast does a lase goes??

upwind, they top out at about 5 kts. until they start to plane. Off the wind, again, top out at 5-6 kts. until they plane, after which I would say they can get up into the 14-16kt. range if it's really blowing, maybe 25 kts. or more.

Mine managed about 65 knots the other day.................

Mind you,was on the trailer getting towed to a meet!

Radial 171107 said:
Quote: how fast does a laser go??
Very fast:D When your planing you can go much faster, i dont really know but i think the speed record for a laser is about 21 knots
I believe that 21 k is a bit faster than a Laser is cabable of since a 505 is known to not be capable of 20 k...but how fast does it go? I don't know.

Downwind with 23-25kts wind, the max speed measured by GPS: 13.4kts.
But an average of 10.something. And 13.4 is REALLY fast...

I do know that Michael Blackburn, while sailing 119 or so nautical miles across the Bass strait's downwind in big waves, hit 19.4 knots.

are you kidding?
SA is all about sarcasm, vitriol, mayhem & well... anarchy...
can be fun watching the fights though.

Earlier this year we had a cold front come down the east coast of Florida. A small group of Laser sailors (3 of us) sailed downwind about 40 miles in the Indian River Lagoon. We had one road support crew that followed us down to our end point just in case of break downs. The first about 20 miles was in 20-30 mph wind. The last bit of the trip the winds were about 15-20 mph. One guy had a gps and the max speed it read was about 14.4 mph. I think that was when we were reaching back and forth in about 30 mph winds while my husband was going downwind and capsizing. It was a blast going so fast and when the wind died down it was a disappointment, but it wasn't that bad.... we were just used to so much wind.

Back