How do you get your "Laser On" when time is tight.

Rob B

In August of this year I went through a job change that requires a lot of travel. Needless to say this has seriously cramped my ability to get out on the water. Having committed to attend the Masters Mid-Winters East event coming up in February it is now practice time, (I have not been in the boat since July) but how?

Even though I’m a member of the local yacht club BYSC the time required for the 20 minute round trip drive, (something most of us would die for) pack my stuff, struggle to get my boat in and out of the rack and so on just is not conducive to my limited schedule. I’ve had to find a faster way to get on the water

For the past 3 years I’ve lived in a neighborhood that sits in a broad expanse of the ICW in South Carolina. However, my house sits on one of the interior lots. The neighborhood does have a ramp facility, but it sits pretty far into a winding creek and it would take too much time to sail out to open water. During the past 2 months I’ve been studying the geography of the shore lines on vacant waterfront lots during different stages of tide transition to see if there is a spot that would be acceptable to launch my Laser without sinking up to my waist in mud or ramming an oyster bed and it there had to be a big enough trail through the trees to fit my golf cart w/laser in tow on the seitech dolly. (all of the lots are heavily wooded).

Finally, I settled in on a small patch of sandy beach with the fewest oyster shells I could see. While it looks like my sailing time will be regulated to a specific 2 hour window or so, (one hour from high tide and one hour into the falling tide) to avoid the nasty “pluff” mud it has turned out to be an excellent spot and the two hour limit is the perfect amount of time for what I call, “My kind of power lunch” for the two days a week I’m at my home office.

Once out on the water I noticed the crabbers like to lay out their pots in an almost perfect slalom course fashion which is really helping with the tack/jibe practice.

Anyway, I thought this might be an interesting piece on how some of us have to improvise to “git-r-done”. The golf cart top is great for transporting the sail already rigged on the mast.

Hope to see some of you guys in Melbourne.

Rob, those of us dealing with hard water or near freezing water that keeps us away are envious!

The 20 minute drive (round trip) to the club sounds easier than what you are trying to do in the oyster shells. Maybe you should keep your Laser on a dolly or trailer instead of a rack? That would speed up the launch/rigging for sure.

The 20 minute drive (round trip) to the club sounds easier than what you are trying to do in the oyster shells. Maybe you should keep your Laser on a dolly or trailer instead of a rack? That would speed up the launch/rigging for sure.

That's a thought, but the club does not like for us to keep our boats out on dollies for extended periods. Too much ground clutter. So, I keep it on the dolly, half rigged in the garage. When things look right I throw on my gear and tow it 2 minutes to the end of my street and go.

The main disadvantage is having to limit myself to the tide cycle.

So just who is running the club? The sailing people or the busy-bodies?

Our "club" has 4 tennis courts, large swimming pool and lots of parking for power boats.

Lasers, Sunfish and Opti's and the only active sailing fleets and we make us a minority of the membership. When the soccer moms show up w/the kids they need space to park for the pool and so on.

I'm not sure if you are a member of a club. This is about my 5th. The majority rules and the dues from the majority pays the bills.

Dingy's are to be stored in the dingy racks. I can understand how cluttered things would be if we could just leave our boats "wherever" on the grounds.

Being that BYSC is a "yacht and sailing club" and a not "tennis and swimming" club, you would think that boating would get the first priority. I could understand maybe wanting to keep inactive boats in racks, but active sailors ought to have easy access to their boats for quick launch.

I've been a member of a few clubs myself (I think was briefly a member at Rush Creek with you). When the social activies become more important than the sailing activites, the racing goes downhill fast.

When the social activies become more important than the sailing activites, the racing goes downhill fast.[/QUOTE]

True.

Just blew that budget on a new sail. What does it say when you can get a new trailer for the nearly the same price as a 74 square foot sail that will last 2 years?

Back