How can you easily haul two Sunfish on one trailer?

ugadog

I am looking for ideas (photos) on how to haul two Sunfish using one trailer. This is temporary so I don't want to incur too much expense or weld anything. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I have transported my 2 sunfish on a single trailer a few times. Assuming that the trailer is set up to provide good support a single sunfish, I have used foam blocks along the sides and at the bow and stern so as to be able to support the second upside down. This makes sort of a sunfish sandwich with one hull bottom facing down and the other up. I line up the daggerboard trunks to allow a single piece of plywood to keep the two hulls aligned and hopefully together should something ugly happen while trailering. I am don't think this method will be your best solution if you intend to move both boats regularly.

Actually, I don't like the plywood through the daggerboard trunk at all since the daggerboard trunk is quite prone to developing leaks as is. Should something bad happen while trailering, do you really want to induce enormous stress on the the daggerboard trunk of both boats simultaneously? (Maybe make two leakers for the price of one?) I'm not saying a person couldn't do it for short distances, but why take a chance?

If you're gonna do the SF sandwich, I would find a different way to secure the top boat, probably with a few ratchet straps around both boats. Still not saying the whole idea is good, though--I'd prefer not to rest that much weight on the hull of the bottom boat against the trailer...

Here's a photo someone posted a while back, showing two Sunfish on one trailer...

Attachments

• a_sunfishtrailerrack.jpg
    a_sunfishtrailerrack.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 96
The way we do it is by putting pillows in between the two sandwiched hulls and then tying the whole thing really well with a lot of rope. if you try hard enough, you can get a few ropes over the back, crossing over the top, and then down the other sides to stop forward-back motion.

I would make a simple frame with the cross members shaped to the deck curves and padded. With the cross members connected, they won't fall over and by staggering the top boat forward (so the splash rails don't hit each other), you can keep them low, not high like the picture posted by ccdon (I know its not your picture). A 2 x 6, two 2 x 4's, some padding (pool noodle), some scrap carpet and a few screws, you are good to go. You may have to place a piece of padding or carpet between the ratchet blocks if installed.

I have heard of people using tire tubes as seperators, but....

In any case, tie both boats to the trailer with straps (I like the ratchet type) SEPERATLY. I would hate to lose both boats :mad: if a strap broke and they were tied only once around both.

Back