Hot Tops/Spray Tops, etc

nesdog

As Fall turns into Winter (yeah, even here in Socal) I'm toying with picking up a couple of items. I'm good on wetsuits; 3/2 full, 4/3 full, spring suit and farmer john. The problem is that a wetsuit doesn't handle the cool wind super well.

So I'm thinking about how best to layer. Wear a hot top under the wetsuit? Or use the farmer john with a hot and spray top? Or the 3/2 with the Ronston spray top? Would it fit over it? Or get a Rooster Aquafleece.

So far, I've been eyeing the SEA Ultra Warm Top and the Ronstan Breathable Spray Top, thinking I could use them either in combination with the various wetsuits or alone or ?. Mind you, Socal water temps aren't impossible; mid 50's in winter with the air about the same.

I've read the other threads here but still haven't quite settled on what to buy. Shopping season is here!

After looking everything over this morning, I'm close to settling on Aquafleece and maybe the Metalite Hot Top. Both items could be worn as layers over wetsuits or solo as the warm weather returns. I'd hate to buy a product I can only use in the coldest months.

This is like buying the gear I use for cycling...windbreakers, layers, etc. Too bad I can't use them on the boat!

Air and water mid 50's is what we have right now frostbiting - You are on the right track with your selection.

FWIW, I'm wearing a 1mm farmerjohn with thermal bike tights underneath downstairs and a light polypro shirt, then a .5mm ti. lined top on the upper. Farmerjohn over that, and a spray top on top of that.

Plenty warm racing, except in between races. If I get colder, I just thrown on a winter type hat to either keep my head or neck warm..

I have both the SEA Metalite Top (normal and extra warm versions) and Rooster Aquafleeces. These items are some of my favourite bits of kit and would definitely recommend them both.

Just wish someone would start stocking SEA kit in the UK, had to buy mine from the US in the end when my original SEA top started to wear out!

Thanks for the replies! I just need to check the sizing. Charts look like medium for me...5'9, 150 lbs. Does these run true to size?

Look into the Zhik Micro Fleece and Zhik Titanium tops.

They're both excellent and with the water and air both not being THAT cold, I imagine the Micro Fleece would be awesome. It's water repellent and the water just beads off it.

I tried to wear a spray top over my hot top once but it was too hot. So I wore a an old packable waterproof/breathable jacket with a hood just to keep the wind and spray off of me and found it to be quite nice.

I do have a Aquafleece but it hasn't been cold enough yet to try it out.

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the Aquafleece? The mediums are out of stock but large is available. According to the chart, at 5'9 151 pounds, I'm medium sized. However I'm told that they run kinda snug so a large could work for me.

Being in Socal, I don't expect to wear tons of layers underneath it to bulk it up.
What I'm thinking is a configuration something like this:

Full wet suit with AF over it to kill the windchill.
Farmer John with either a hot top under and then the Aquafleece, or just the AF.

Spring suit with AF?

Will the Large be too bulky?

Thanks...

I got one from intensity sail ... email them and find out if they have them in stock

I have a 46 chest and normally wear an XL in T shirts.

My Aquafleece is size XXL and fit just right, so try to go up a size.

I really like it.

I did talk with Intensity. They are out of the medium, which is what got me to posting the question. All of the Rooster charts have me solid in medium size, which is pretty much what I wear in all shirts, except T-shirts, 'cause they shrink! So it's kinda tough call.

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the Aquafleece? The mediums are out of stock but large is available. According to the chart, at 5'9 151 pounds, I'm medium sized. However I'm told that they run kinda snug so a large could work for me.

Being in Socal, I don't expect to wear tons of layers underneath it to bulk it up.
What I'm thinking is a configuration something like this:

Full wet suit with AF over it to kill the windchill.
Farmer John with either a hot top under and then the Aquafleece, or just the AF.

Spring suit with AF?

Will the Large be too bulky?

Thanks...

I have a Rooster aquafleece that I bought one size up, and never considered it to be too bulky, even since I've shrunk about a size, making it probably 2 sizes too big now. I caught sight of myself in it in a mirror the other day, and thought it looked a bit big, but it doesn't feel big. Personally, I like a bit of sailing kit that isn't snug fitting, it makes a nice change.

BTW, is a 'Farmer John' a 'Long John' to a Brit?

I tend to wear a long john with a Rooster Thermaflex top when it is warm, then introduce the Polypro top underneath when it gets a little colder, and the AF on top when it gets colder still. I used to wear just the AF over the long john, but the AF could make my arms cold when wet (inside) because it would cling. Either the polypro, or the thermaflex solve this problem (or both). I realise I've just made it sound like I don't use the AF much, but I do! I definitely wouldn't be without it. (I also use it a lot when I'm not sailing - yardwork in the rain etc - waterproof, snug, not bulky).

I can't comment on a 'Spring suit' because I have no idea what one of those is!!

What we call the "Farmer John" is essentially a full suit without the sleeves. Legs, body and then just straps. Sort of a pair of overalls.

A Spring Suit is generally a wetsuit with covering to the knees, full body and short sleeve arms.

Having looked at the demo video of the AF online about a zillion times (as I try to gleam every possible bit of information from it!) , it seems pretty form fitting. I agree that I wouldn't mind a bit less snuggy on everything. When you've got on multiple layers of clothing, things begin to cinch up. It's like that on some of my cycling gear in the winter...base layer, long sleeve jersey, glove liners, jacket. A little extra room isn't necessarily bad!

But I think my main concern has just been that I didn't want this thing to be flapping all over the place.

My aquafleece is form fitting to a degree.

If you look at Rooster pics you will see that you tuck your aquafleece into your hikers that is why it is cut slim.

I don't know what you guys from calee-fornia think is cold, but I wear far less for cycling even in foot deep snow.

Well, I don't wear all of the gear to ride most of the year! Middle of December last year, we went out in the morning with temps about 35. Lots of frost on the ground so I was fully layered. I ride nearly every sat with the LBS and most times do fine with much less. but hey...we're Socalers! We got thin blood!

I wrote to Rooster this morning asking about the sizing. Here is their response:

"Thank you for the email. Stay with Medium as the aquafleece is meant to be worn snug especially at the hips otherwise you will lose the hot air and the water will get in."

But I think my main concern has just been that I didn't want this thing to be flapping all over the place.

As I said, I consider mine big, but it doesn't do any flapping! The buoyancy aid takes care of most of it...

As for losing hot air and water getting in.... no problem with hot air! Water will get in anyway if you go swimming as often as I do!

If you check out Mr. Cockrells vid on the AF. My fleece fits about the same and I don't consider that tight.

I think they mean that water could get in while sailing and not when you go in.

FWIW, I received the Aquafleece this week. I tried it on over my full wetsuit and it seems to fit fine. I think the Large would have been a bit too big so the medium was the right choice. Hoping to get out over Thanksgiving break and see how it feels on the water.

Back