Hole in my sail

Go Blue

I have two holes the size of cigarette burns (No, I was not using the fish as an ashtray). How do I go about repairing these?

Michael

If you have a marina around that deals with sailboats and does repairs you may be able to purchase a small lenght of sail repair tape. I have a couple of small holes that I have repaired with the tape and it still lasts. I was able to get a short lenght tape in a red color that blends right in on my sail. Seems that small holes develope where the sail rubs the gaffs where the mainsheet pullys are attached. If you can not find a place that will sell you a short length you may have to search the internet and buy a roll.

As said the best fix is sail repair tape, failing that you can use any "sticky" durable tape, avoid duct tape except for a real short term fix or you will be trying to remove that horrendous adhesive later on. If you sail in salt water you should rinse the area where the holes are with fresh water, dry, then with the sail flat (no wrinkles) apply your tape to one side of the sail, then the other. Oh yeah.....cut the tape so that it has rounded corners, not angular ones or the tape will lift.

Back