Hole in Bottom of Mast Step - Help!

ddem

After digging out my 1983 laser from storage in the back of a machine shop I decided to give it a good cleaning. I used a power washer, paying particularly close attention to the mast step since a lot of grime and metal burrs had accumulated in there after 15 years.

Of course I blasted a hole in the bottom of the mast step. The fiberglass is exposed - see picture. It still seems pretty watertight - no water leaks through if I fill up the step and let it sit. The sides also seem fine.

I need advice. What kind of repair does this need and how can I do it? I have neither the patience, time or money for a full mast-step repair, and hopefully its not really needed. I bought a mast step wear plate and was thinking of just epoxying it in place - hopefully making it watertight (will it?). Do i need to repair the fiberglass first? The gelcoat? If so, I don't really have too much experience so any advice including specific brands of epoxy/gelcoat repair or whatever would be very much appreciated. I don't really plan on racing it - I just want to get it in the water but want to avoid future troubles down the road as well if I can. Thanks!

Attachments

• LaserMastSm.jpg
    LaserMastSm.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 68
first, i would not pour any more water down the step. let it dry for awhile. you have to dry the exposed
glass before it's covered. others will be better suited to advise on what to use to cover the bottom. as long as the tube of the step is OK, i don't think it would be a bad thing to "West" in the wear plate. as long as the rest of the boat is sound. the future would bring having to add an inspection port and do a whole mast-step repair, but as long as it's just the bottom of the step that your doing it should be good.

Even if you think it's water tight, the fiber glass is exposed and it will soak in moisture and eventually more de-lamination will happen.

I think you should go to any Lows or Home Depot store and buy the smallest amount of epoxy mixture you can find. Mix it up properly and fill in the de-lamination with the resin. After you apply the epoxy, make an even surface and make sure it doesn't bulge out of the de-laminated area, let it dry for a day. Put a metal desk in the mast step hole before using it.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone - this has been very helpful! I'm going to attempt the repair this weekend.

-Dave

Back