Holding Position drills

bjmoose

I've done a bunch of starts, not so many starting drills. In a word, my starts stink. So last night I was out practicing some starting drills, trying to hold position at a buoy.

Vang off.

Boat pointed close-hauled, above close hauled, or (almost) head to wind.

Tried to keep the boat pretty flat.

The general pattern was that the wind would start to push the boat backward, I'd give a skull or two if necessary to bring the bow down a bit, tug a bit of mainsheet on to power up a bit, the boat would power up, heel over, and scoot forward and left on the line.

The challenge is to minimize this left drift down the line. In 90 seconds, I was moving like 5 boat lengths or more. Flat water, moderate breeze, puffy and shifty.

Also, annoyingly, sometimes the boat would simply be driven forward and windward (crossing the "starting line") despite the fact that the sheet and vang were both off. That obviously leads to an OCS position and having to remanuever for a new line position (if there's even time, otherwise simply a go-back-and-restart.) It's on a lake; there's no possibility of current doing this; it's a wind and sail drive thing.

So, I have two questions.

1. How do I prevent this unintended driving of the boat to windward?

2. How do I improve my technique so I minimize the number and size of bites I have to take to leeward, to maximize my hole to leeward and minimize my opponents hole?

---snip---
So, I have two questions.

1. How do I prevent this unintended driving of the boat to windward?

2. How do I improve my technique so I minimize the number and size of bites I have to take to leeward, to maximize my hole to leeward and minimize my opponents hole?

I think you are describing the boat driving forward, not really to windward. You may be bleeding off some of that momentum by turning upwind.

One good drill is to learn how to bring the boat from a reach to a dead stop by turning upwind and holding out the boom to leeward ("backing" the main). You can then use the technique of holding out the boom to both stop you from moving forward and to actually "crab" sideways (to the windward side) with hardly any forward movement.

You also want to learn to hold position without having the bow within 10-20 degrees of the true wind. This means mainsheet fully eased, leeward heel and just enough rudder movement to counter any course change - when you need to move to windward in your hole, you only sheet in enough to just turn the bow upwind, not to accelerate.

There may be a some more info here:
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=25728&postcount=8 and try searching, we have had a few lengthy discussions a few years back.

Back