Hiking

What is the actual technique for hiking under severe heeling.
I had a monstrous dunking this weekend (my first sail this season)
While sheeting in and hiking, I had no feeling that my weight had any effect on the heeling.
Both my feet were under the toestrap and I had no sense of resistance/leverage from my feet.

Well, I'd give in and let the sail out!
Play the sail if you are overpowered. Flat is fast, even if the sail is out.

Your toestrap needs to be long enough that you can get your weight out over the side, but not so long you end up with 'floaty feet'. You should always feel connected to your boat.

Try reading roosters article http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/Hiking_Style.html on hiking as a starting point. Poor hiking style isn't just slow/wet, it also creates a whole world of pain for you in the future so getting it correct early on is essential.

reply to Merrily - this is what happened. I has just come out of a tack and going into a reach when the mainsheet slipped .
this was the first heel. when I started sheeting in, more heeling with the wet result....

reply to Sailorchick - you put it correctly, I had no connection with the boat through my legs.so when I sheeted in and hiked there was no response from the boat. I was in effect just sheeting in .............

Back