hiking straps? hatch water tight? replace batton?

SLT Kota

the 14.2 that I'm looking at doesn't have hiking straps, where would I get some and how much are they?
also how water tight is the front hatch of a mod 1, i've read some stories and it sounds like if they turtle they nearly sink? ohh and if they flip, what about a trolling motor if it has one? do you just need to do without if you plan to push the boat to the edge?

the one that I am looking at also is missing a sail batton, is that a big deal? how hard would it be to replace?

thanks,
Stuart

Trolling Motor / Battens

Good morning, Stuart,

Not sure how waterproof/watertight trolling motors are, but I'd certainly make sure the battery is securely fastened and in a battery box to minimize exposure. The best place to find out about the trolling motor question would be either to ask at a store like West Marine or check with Minn-Kota directly. Oh, and while you're at West Marine, you can pick up that sail batten you are missing. They sell replacements there. The other option would be to go directly to Catalina online at Catalina Direct (Google it) or call (800) 959-7245. Hope this helps.

Fish

P.S. If you plan to race your boat, make sure that battery stays on the beach. You just don't need the extra weight onboard when you are trying to keep it light.

I took a piece of "star-board" and made a new hatch for my 87 capri. I used card board to cut and recut to get the shape exactly. Anyone woud agree that on a boat there is no straight edge, squared corner, or level line to go by. The hiking straps I went back to catalina Yachts.com, found teh phone number and called to place order. I think it was 70 bucks for all three. They really are nicer than a piece of nylon strapping that some people are using. Good Luck.

ahh thanks, I'm really hoping this boat will work out and hopefully without much work.
it seems like they don't tip too often because they are bigger and heavyer then a JY, what I am use to... but I was wondering if this ment that they required more wind to sail, how do they do in light wind? We generally don't have too much wind around here so I hope they don't need too much.
thanks again and thanks in advanced,
Stuart

SLT Kota said:
ohh and if they flip, what about a trolling motor if it has one?

Stuart,
My Capri has a Minn Kota Riptide and it didn't survive being flipped a couple months ago. The head was upside down in the water for 20-30 minutes and once righted, the switch got fried when turned on. I think it would've been OK had I let it dry out completely before using...:(

As for sailing in light wind, that hasn't really been an issue for us since everytime we go out we apparently missed the small craft advisories that should've been posted but weren't, if you catch my drift. ;)

Happy sailing,
Jim

i catch your drift no pun intended, i needed a little laugh there...

hopefully you will have better luck and send some of that wind my way.

Back