Hiking Strap Replacement

LaserBoy

Hi, I've been sailing my laser for a while now with the normal yellow seitech hiking strap and have decided to upgrade to a new strap. Is there anything special I need to know about replacing a strap? Like making sure the holes in the deck are water-tight and the screws arent going to come out.
Thanks!

Get the Zhik strap. Seal the srew holes like you would anywhere else.

I recommend the Zhik strap as well, I have some other boots that I am using with it with the rubber on top like on the bottom of the strap and the grip is great, for next southern hemisphere season I will be getting the boots because they are VERY light when I looked at them in the store.

There are a few different models of Zhik booties. I went with the super light side lace up model and they are as close to sailing barefoot in the boat as you'll get. I absoutely love them. They allow for a lot of "awareness" as to what your feet are doing or what may be tangled around them as opposed to the "numbness" that comes with tradational booties.

However, the light boots are not intended to be worn around parking lots and such. So, if you go that route make sure you have a good pair of flip floops as you want to put the boot on just before you launch and take them off as soon as you return to shore. Otherwise you'll wear the bottoms out of them.

So, if you go that route make sure you have a good pair of flip floops as you want to put the boot on just before you launch and take them off as soon as you return to shore.

These sound kicky. Where do I buy them? ;)

I picked up ALL my Zhik stuff from our wonderful forum sponsor APS.

Actually, whenever I'm upgrading or replacing any Laser part I go through APS. The only exception is for sails. I use Colie for new North Laser sails.

However, Layline out of GA also sells the product and is where the US Sales Rep is based. His name is Mike and he has been increadible with product support on any Zhik related item I've bought from APS. However, I've recently heard they are tough to get in contact with by phone. Mike has always been quick to respond via e-mail w/me.

APS has always served me well.

If any representatives from APS or Colie are reading this you can just put a discount coupon in the mail to me.

The ones that come on the new boats are actually alright. Huge step up from the yellow monstrosities.

if you want a cost effective alternative... Intensity Sails makes a decent one that is only 20 bucks. To me that's preferable over spending 55 for a Zhik strap. I do have the lace up sock/boot things... absolutely love them but yes flip flops are key.

I never realized how bad the yellow ones were until I replaced mine w/the Zhik.

Still beats the hell out of the old days when the boats just came with a 2" wide nylon strap. You could almost replace it with a piece of webbing from one of those old outdoor aluminum folding chairs from back in the day.

As a matter of fact that material was what Dick Tillman used on the hiking bench he invented in the late 70's.

Thanks all. I am planning to get a Zhik strap, But my question was more on how to seal the holes in the deck. (i am kinda new to this)

i use 5200 adhesive.. stuff is pretty cheap and works well. Just be sure you give it plenty of time to cure... at least a day or two. It doesnt reach it's fully hardened capacity for up to 8 days depending on temp, moisture, etc....

Silicon sealer is the product to use. All you want to do is seal water out of the screw holes. 5200 is an adhesive, not a sealer.

Silicon sealer is the product to use. All you want to do is seal water out of the screw holes. 5200 is an adhesive, not a sealer.

I'd use 4200 or 5200. Screwing the screws in and out of the fiberglass/woodblock isn't ideal, so you'll want something for a little extra security, especially in that area.

I'd definitely use an adhesive. Remember, however, that 5200 is "unbreakable".

Back