Hiking strap adjustment setup

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Levent, Aug 30, 2009.

1. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

...Part three 17.(c) "The hiking strap supporting line between the aft end of the hiking strap and the eye straps of the aft face of the cockpit may be rigged in any manner so that the hiking strap is fixed or adjustable."

(d) "A shock cord may be attached between the aft end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end of the cockpit."

2. wessel

wessel Member

The rules as stated don't prohibit the use of hardware in the set-up then - right?

3. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

No, but the fundamental rule does. You are not permitted to have anything other than a single piece of rope and a single piece of shock cord.

4. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Are you thinking of mixing in a cleat or something??...I don't know how far "any manner" goes.
    AlanD would be good to ask.

Well looky there....AlanD just hit enter before I did!

5. wessel

wessel Member

...does the bungee have to go through the same attachment as the line?

6. AlanD

I assume you mean on the hiking strap itself. Yes, you are only permitted one loop on the strap. The yellow straps supplied on some boats are actually illegal, but cutting the stitching (1/2" /12mm) that forms the second loop fixes the problem and doesn't impact on the structural integrity of the hiking strap. Some of the Zhik straps also had a second loop, but Brian has corrected the design, by removing the loop. In the last Australian and New Zealand Worlds, we corrected about 400 hiking straps during measurement.

Rule 17(d) covers any other possibility.

"A shock cord may be attached between the aft end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end of the cockpit."

7. martyn

martyn Member

How many people actually adjust their toes straps rather than just keep tightening them during a race ?

At 61' 1" I find the best way for me is just to have the strap tight all the time. so I've tied it with a couple of bowlines around the eyes. It doesn't slip after every couple of tacks, it's one less thing to worry about.

8. Levent

Levent Member

Hi, I don't see that on the picture, I' sorry. All I have to do referring to my picture is to take the free end as it is right now and insert it into the bowline, that's all ?

9. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Hi Martyn,

I had a chant with a friend of mine who is in the transitional squad at the moment. He was of the same opinion.... until he sailed in waves. Apparently have the thing adjustbale in waves makes a huge difference.

For us 'pondies' though we can get away with not having it adjustable....

10. Sean

Sean Member

How do you even manage to get under the boom being so tall? :eek:

11. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

...ok here are some pics that I took of my strap. One of the pics shows a slightly different version...line over instead of under.

Note the bowline ...when pulled tight "grips" or pinches the free end against the metal eye strap.

Good luck, Eric

Attached Files:

12. Jeff Connelly

Jeff Connelly Radial Newb :-(

Is that written somewhere official?
    No offence, but it seems that the rule allows people to use cleats and the like in their hiking straps.
    Could you clear this up?

-Jeff

13. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Read Fundamental Rule #1

14. AlanD

When a rule stipulates "a line" or "a shockcord"it means strictly one line or one piece of shockcord. When a rule stipulates "lines", multiple are permitted, although they will normally specify a maximum number.

As for cleats, the rule above is talking specifically about using the traveller cleat to hold up the hiking strap, via shockcord. The only cleats permitted on a laser are the traveller, mainsheet (2), cunningham, vang, outhaul on the boom and if you have the builder supplied fitting the outhaul on the deck. The fundamental rule prevents the use of any other cleats, so no cleat is permitted for adjusting the hiking strap.

15. Levent

Levent Member

I just saw you're picture, thanks a lot Eric.

Jacques