Hiking strap adjustment setup

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Levent, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Levent

Levent Member

I took the idea in Davison`s book, however I found that the line slips and the strap adjustment gets loose rapidly. I'm wondering if this could be causes by the type of line I'm using that is rather slippery. I can't sail with that setup, my next step would be to try with a different kind of line or go back to my original simple setup, what do you think ?

Attached Files:

2. Kratos

Kratos Member

The line does look pretty smooth.

Maybe try using some thicker line, so there's even less room to slide.

If your original, simpler set up worked better, I'd just go back to that if switching the line doesn't work.

The one I have is much simpler, and while it does slip, it does so very slowly and not enough to affect my sailing before I have the chance to quickly tighten it again.

3. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

mabe you ort to try the paul goodison "way" might be able to get a pic on request but ill try to explain...

face the stern of your boat and tie a bowline round the port "fairlead" then take the loose end of the rope through the toe strap and through the starboard "fairlead" and through the bowline and the port "fairlead" then pull tight, when hiking it pulls on the bowline locking it against the "fairlead" preventing it form slipping although it stil need adjusting every 4/5 tacks. :(

or even you could build that locking idea into your own setup and if it works photo it and put it on the forum!

4. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

Looks like there is way too much line involved with your hiking strap adjustment.

The simplest way to do it is the pic below. It'll never give you any issues. Just make sure the bowline has a bit of a tail so you can adjust easier rather than coming in all the way to adjust.

http://claysails.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=345

5. Levent

Levent Member

Eric, it's what I had before, it works, I was only trying to improve the system.

I tried with another line type (Dacron) with the same setup as my picture and I have the same problem. By the way both lines I used are 5 mm.

Salingmania, your idea looks interesting.

6. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

hi guy might be goin down to my boat today so wil experiment with the adjuster ideas, and the modification i came up with on "Levent"'s idea.

although "er173716" i do like you very simple idea! and if you say it works it must be a good one!

7. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

hi guyz have been down to the yc today and have experimented with your design and have encountered a few problems, one i have an aussie toe strap, does this make a difference because from your pic it looks like you have alot more adjustability space than me i found i can only take up a max of about 3 inches of slack. please correct me if im worng but i think its a good idea but wont suit me.

8. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

been down yc today and have modified your design see what you think but remember to pass the loose end of rope through bowline and inside of starboard fairlead and through port fairlead then it will not slip as it is held between the bowline and the fairlead any more help needed please ask as i will try and get another pic.

Attached Files:

9. Levent

Levent Member

That looks good, I have to give it a try !

10. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

The pic that Sailingmania sent has a cool feature (bowline pinching the line) that you can apply to your original set-up as shown in the first pic. If you thread the final "free" end of the line at the starboard fairlead ... under (or thru) the existing line ... it will be pinched against the fairlead and held tight in the same way that the bowline does on Sailingmania's set-up. Best of both worlds.

Both of these set-ups make me scratch my head and think ...who comes up with these cool ideas. A few beers were problably involved!

11. sailingmania

sailingmania New Member

the person who actually comes up with these ideas is..... paul goodison! i got his idea out of the laser handbook and modified it to your design, she design shown in the manual is a bowline tied to the starboard eye (facing forward) through the toesrap and through port eye then between bowline and the fairlead (although i find this system need adjusting every few tacks. :(

12. Levent

Levent Member

I think I understand what you mean, I was thinking about doing a similar modification too. Whenever I have a new tested setup I'll post a picture, if you have one than feel free to share it

• Spam Spam x 1
  13. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

...the "bowline" setup has an advantage over my modificatin idea in that ..

1. The bowline does not move or "travel" therefore should hold a more constant, stable grip on the free end of the line.

2. The 4 lines act independently in terms of sharing the load...the standing (bowline) line that is "first" and would be the "tighter" of the 4. ...and might pinch and hold for more tacks than the setup that I proposed.

3. I need to get a life!

Eric

14. Levent

Levent Member

Hi, sorry for the delay ... the season is ending here and I just tried the Salingmania setup. It works a lot better than my first pic but still needs some adjustment. I think Eric mentioned that we could do even better !? can you explain, I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

15. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

I think that the sailingmania "method" should work the best ...The pic that you just posted ....it looks almost like it except the free end still needs to be "inside" the eye AND the bowline so that it will be "pinched" when drawn tight.

Take another look at his (sailingmania) and see if I'm making any sense.

I don't think that my modification (that I posted earlier) is any good in comparison

Eric

16. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Hey Shatty007...do you have a pic of your simpler one ?

Thanks Eric

17. Levent

Levent Member

Nope, I don't get it, for me both picture are the same :(

I need to take the free end and pass it through the bow line again :confused:

18. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

I know Sailingmania's pic is a little fuzzy but look closely at how the free end passes between the eye and the bowline....before continuing on out of sight.

It is in a position where it is pinched against the inside of the metal eye by the bowline

In your latest pic it passes thru the bowline outside the metal eye...and then it continues thru the eye...and then out to where you can pull on it by hand.....it never gets a chance to be pinched.

I wish his (sailingmania) pic had as good of resolution as yours

Eric

19. Levent

Levent Member

I'll take a look again at SailingMania pic tomorrow ... I can't see the detail, it's too fuzzy, maybe after a good night's sleep. :rolleyes:

20. wessel

wessel Member

What are the class rules for the hiking strap/line/bungee setup?